Picked up some prime Rib eye cap steaks from Costco today, anyone try these?

Bruno

3x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
B95431CF-0496-4758-AE67-585335080BD1.jpeg
Forgot to take pics of them when I picked them up, pulled one out of the freezer to take a pic. Anyone ever cooks these? Any thoughts?

Charcoal, hickory chunks, take off at 125. Rest for 5 minutes then dive in.

They are horrible. Send them to me to save yourself the disappointment. 😜

View attachment 1695Forgot to take pics of them when I picked them up, pulled one out of the freezer to take a pic. Anyone ever cooks these? Any thoughts?

I've picked these up a couple of times when I've seen them at Costco but I set them down after looking at the structure. The ones I've looked at always appear as if they are rolled up into a pinwheel shape and that to grill them I'd have to go through a lot of prep that I'd rather not have to i.e. wrapping them up with butcher twine or spearing them with skewers. :confused: At that point I'd rather throw a tomahawk rib eye down. They do look good though and they certainly are Prime, let me know if they unravel as they cook or if you prepped them to hold together.

What do they call them at Costco? At the beginning of the pandemic, a New Orleans restaurant meat provision company was selling out their warehouse because of lack of business. I bought a bunch of the caps (spinalis dorsi). I had to roll several together to make a steak, but boy was it worth it. Best darn steak I’ve ever eaten.

Rib eye cap steaks.
They are the spinalis dorsi, I have heard mixed reviews, that costco leaves in too much silver skin, we’ll see. I don’t want to untie and trim them so I hope they re good, I’m going to smoke boost them to 100 Pull them and the crank up the SmokeFire to 600 and sear the hell out of them.
I’ll use Carne Crosta Rub from Oakridge.
should be great!!

Last edited:
I looked it up, your suppose to trim that silver skin off, then tie them up. Looks like they would be terrific.

I looked it up, your suppose to trim that silver skin off, then tie them up. Looks like they would be terrific.
Yeah they are already tied, and they took the silver sling off, I’ve just heard they aren’t thorough.
im just gonna season them and cook em up.
They are going on next weekend. I’m working this weekend. Booo!!

Latest Discussions

Back