Picanha

bbqking

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
So I went to the local carniceria.. I was going to get just one, but it came in a two pack. Im probably going to do them on my kettle, just to be safe. Dry brining them in the fridge tonight with kosher salt. Trimmed them up a little and scored the fat cap on both really well. More pics tomorrow.

Attachments

OP
bbqking

bbqking

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
OP
bbqking

bbqking

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well......way too salty. Very bland other wise. Disappointing to say the least. It all looks proper. But I’m NOT impressed. I guess that’s why all the online people cooking these have wagyu! I bought choice. Maybe it was the carniceria meat. I’m kind of leaning that way! Last time I buy meat from those guys. Well my dogs might get treats

Attachments

OP
bbqking

bbqking

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Second opinion...it’s not terrible and with the thrown together with what I had, chimichurri stuff, it’s actually not bad. I’m used to rubs on my meat, and all I put on this was salt...

Attachments

DutchieCooks

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
You're the first one I've seen it dry brine it. Probably thats why its so salty.

OP
bbqking

bbqking

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well, that won’t be happening again. I MUCH more prefer tritip. If I salt it it’s going to be a much lighter salt, and I will probably do an spg rub. I do have to say the stuff I poured over some of it went really well.

Captainmike

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Cooked one last night. This was choice grade; picked up about a month ago from my local butcher which was all he had at the time and threw in the freezer. I’ll do that whenever I see it available. To me, seems to be a sensitive cut and picks up flavor (smoke and seasoning) very easily, which is why dare I say it I like it with the fat cap trimmed 😁. Since it’s a leaner meat ( other than fat cap) than other cuts I just smoke at 225 to 135 internal no searing... came out really good my little daughters went to town on it... first time I made a chimichurri as well so now that’s on the list for future cooks 🙃

Attachments

Bruno

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Cooked one last night. This was choice grade; picked up about a month ago from my local butcher which was all he had at the time and threw in the freezer. I’ll do that whenever I see it available. To me, seems to be a sensitive cut and picks up flavor (smoke and seasoning) very easily, which is why dare I say it I like it with the fat cap trimmed 😁. Since it’s a leaner meat ( other than fat cap) than other cuts I just smoke at 225 to 135 internal no searing... came out really good my little daughters went to town on it... first time I made a chimichurri as well so now that’s on the list for future cooks 🙃
Fantastic meal right there!!
My kids loved the chimichurri!

OP
bbqking

bbqking

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
So as I contemplat the cook. When I do it again. I will season it with a rub. I will cook indirect. I will not sear it. The fat...I only trimmed the sides, I did not thin it out. The fat was almost non existent, after the cook. Plus I used a chunk of pecan...probably won’t do any wood, next time. blnt, better luck next time. My wife and daughter liked it. Steak and eggs does sound great...

DutchieCooks

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
So as I contemplat the cook. When I do it again. I will season it with a rub. I will cook indirect. I will not sear it. The fat...I only trimmed the sides, I did not thin it out. The fat was almost non existent, after the cook. Plus I used a chunk of pecan...probably won’t do any wood, next time. blnt, better luck next time. My wife and daughter liked it. Steak and eggs does sound great...
I leave at least a fat cap of 1/2 inch 😂 reverse sear at 225 and sear it starting with the fat cap. Give it some good flamekiss, rest and eat 🤤

Latest Discussions