Okay, it's official: I'm OUT! (But still happy to be here!)

My wife and I talked about this and we decided that I don't need the waste of time or frustration of dealing with a grill that is having the myriad issues that this SmokeFire is having. So I wrote to Weber and told them to either have the carrier return delivery or I just will not accept delivery. I have already spent way TOO much time on this not ready for Primetime grill. Baby Back Maniac's latest video cemented that for me. I know Weber will take care of their customers, but I am not going to be one in this case.
That's too bad. So far I've had good luck with mine (knock on wood) and both cooks turned out well, but I totally understand and respect your decision

Took a break from my jealousy over the weekend. Sorry to hear this but can’t blame you a bit. Mine is finally coming on Wednesday - can’t say that I haven’t shared the frustrations and hesitations. My debate came between this grill and the YS640. If mine doesn’t work out. I’ll dump quickly and go for the Yoder.

Just watched Babyback Maniac’s latest update on his cook of two pork butts. Grease fire on his very first cook!

I’m cancelling my order of the Weber GreaseFire first thing in the morning. I’ve officially lost confidence in this version 1 Weber pellet cooker. I’ll carry on with my Genesis ll and Vision Grills Kamado for now. I may revisit their version 2 pellet grill assuming that I have not bought a competing pellet grill by then.

Like most of us here, I have been looking forward to this grill primarily because of the reputation of the company behind it. I wasn’t expecting the SmokeFire to be perfect, but there are too many problems.

This launch is a black eye for Weber. 🙁

Last edited:
It looks like Weber suggests using a water pan on the flavorizer bars for long cooks. Maybe that is the fix for all of the concerns? If they were to give us a couple water pans to put on both sides of the smoker. This will help even the temperature and catch the grease preventing fire risks. I’d push them to the back to force the smoke through the front to escape on the back of the grill.

My EX6 gets delivered on Wednesday (FINALLY)... can someone give me the dimensions of the area between the flavorizor bars and the grill grates? I’ll likely try to find an aluminum pan like these: Mophorn Set of 6 Hotel Pan 2 Inch Steam Table Pan Full Size 20x12x2 Inch 9 Quart Stainless Steel Anti Jam Steam Table Pan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PCJ1MF7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_s22sEbK1HF3SE

It looks like Weber suggests using a water pan on the flavorizer bars for long cooks. Maybe that is the fix for all of the concerns? If they were to give us a couple water pans to put on both sides of the smoker. This will help even the temperature and catch the grease preventing fire risks. I’d push them to the back to force the smoke through the front to escape on the back of the grill.

My EX6 gets delivered on Wednesday (FINALLY)... can someone give me the dimensions of the area between the flavorizor bars and the grill grates? I’ll likely try to find an aluminum pan like these: Mophorn Set of 6 Hotel Pan 2 Inch Steam Table Pan Full Size 20x12x2 Inch 9 Quart Stainless Steel Anti Jam Steam Table Pan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PCJ1MF7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_s22sEbK1HF3SE
Good luck! I hope everything goes well!

Just watched Babyback Maniac’s latest update on his cook of two pork butts. Grease fire on his very first cook!

I’m cancelling my order of the Weber GreaseFire first thing in the morning. I’ve officially lost confidence in this version 1 Weber pellet cooker. I’ll carry on with my Genesis ll and Vision Grills Kamado for now. I may revisit their version 2 pellet grill assuming that I have not bought a competing pellet grill by then.

Like most of us here, I have been looking forward to this grill primarily because of the reputation of the company behind it. I wasn’t expecting the SmokeFire to be perfect, but there are too many problems.

I think Baby Back's video just made my decision on returning it easy. That fire was nasty, and very similar to other ones I've seen on Reddit. So far doesn't sound like anyone has heard anything from Weber on how they plan to address this, which doesn't surprise me because these look like design issues that they're going to have to go back to R&D and straighten out. The few people who have had success appear to be the exception, plus I haven't seen any videos by people claiming success. I'd love to see what the bottom of their grill looks like.

Sad but true. I am not giving up yet, but I am going to try all the great suggestions offered up on this site. Thanks all.

It was watching Baby Back's first video on his own SmokeFire in which he said he could not really recommend it yet... That sealed it for me. Like many of us I was so excited to get this... and then comment after comment and video after video plainly showed that this pellet grill has a lot of issues. For me it made me rethink my whole strategy... It is just me and my wife and I love my Weber Kettle 18. So I am moving away from complications and toward simplicity. I loved my Traeger Texas Elite 34 that I had for almost 4 years... but I can live without a pellet grill for now. God bless.

Yeah, both of Justin's videos were a little disheartening, even if we've been hearing the same from other people. His enthusiasm and that of the others at the Chicago reveal really swayed my purchase decision, even though I've been a Weber fan for years looking to purchase a pellet grill. Now, even if my issue is fixed I'm wondering if this is something I want to live with long-term. I can put a drip pan under the grates during long cooks. I can go out every few hours to push the pellets down. It's just not what I signed up for. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations (clearly I did), but with the amount of R&D that went into this product you'd think that the most basic things would be working. I (and a lot of other people) have tough decisions to make.

Yeah, both of Justin's videos were a little disheartening, even if we've been hearing the same from other people. His enthusiasm and that of the others at the Chicago reveal really swayed my purchase decision, even though I've been a Weber fan for years looking to purchase a pellet grill. Now, even if my issue is fixed I'm wondering if this is something I want to live with long-term. I can put a drip pan under the grates during long cooks. I can go out every few hours to push the pellets down. It's just not what I signed up for. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations (clearly I did), but with the amount of R&D that went into this product you'd think that the most basic things would be working. I (and a lot of other people) have tough decisions to make.
Hi there SmokeMeister. I really wanted this thing to work! As a matter of fact I got my shipment notification last night and am still fighting wanting to get it and deal with the known issues (Weber has not responded yet to my order cancellation). But in the end, since I have not received the shipment I am going to hang tough and go ahead and let it go back. I am rooting for everyone that does have one, and I am sure that many of the fixes will come from right here in this forum! I have not seen Baby Back's greasefire vid yet... Maybe I don't want to! God bless. WE have so much to be grateful for.

Perfect summation of what a lot of people are feeling. As the negative reviews start to pile up on Amazon and on Weber's own website, we'll see what they (Weber) come up with as a solution. Their good customer service record is on the line. Then maybe I'll reconsider, but for now I'll get my money back.

I made that tough decision this morning. I really have not had too many issues at all and my food turned out good that I had cooked. But after watching Baby Back's video with the grease fire I called Lowes this morning and told them to come and get it. There is a lot of grease already built up in the bottom of mine and i just don't want to take the chance. I have a BBQ shed in my back yard with all of my cooking equipment sitting in it and on the deck I have in front of it and don't want to risk it all catching on fire. These grills are supposed to be able to be left unattended for short periods of time and I don't feel like this is going to be one I can trust.

I made that tough decision this morning. I really have not had too many issues at all and my food turned out good that I had cooked. But after watching Baby Back's video with the grease fire I called Lowes this morning and told them to come and get it. There is a lot of grease already built up in the bottom of mine and i just don't want to take the chance. I have a BBQ shed in my back yard with all of my cooking equipment sitting in it and on the deck I have in front of it and don't want to risk it all catching on fire. These grills are supposed to be able to be left unattended for short periods of time and I don't feel like this is going to be one I can trust.
I remain hopeful they can make things work for the current owners and the potential future owners. I do look forward to hearing how they do it. I am not saying I won't buy one in the future, I just need to be more certain that they do have a fix for a few things first. I am sorry to hear that you most likely agonized a bit over this. I know I did.

I remain hopeful they can make things work for the current owners and the potential future owners. I do look forward to hearing how they do it. I am not saying I won't buy one in the future, I just need to be more certain that they do have a fix for a few things first. I am sorry to hear that you most likely agonized a bit over this. I know I did.
I did Lol! I went back and forth on what to do. I am definitely not opposed to owning one in the future either.

Latest Discussions

Back