Okay, it's official: I'm OUT! (But still happy to be here!)

Brian Vallotton

Reaction score
My wife and I talked about this and we decided that I don't need the waste of time or frustration of dealing with a grill that is having the myriad issues that this SmokeFire is having. So I wrote to Weber and told them to either have the carrier return delivery or I just will not accept delivery. I have already spent way TOO much time on this not ready for Primetime grill. Baby Back Maniac's latest video cemented that for me. I know Weber will take care of their customers, but I am not going to be one in this case.

I haven’t pulled the trigger on the Smokefire yet mainly because it was brand new. A buddy has an Ironwood 650 and he has had intermittent software problems as well. However, it seems like every other poster here has had some sort of issue with the Smokefire enough to make me wary of spending $1200 on a grill that appears to be not quite ready. Still undecided.

I do want to thank everyone who has shared their experiences so far. That’s the beauty of these type of forums.

I haven’t pulled the trigger on the Smokefire yet mainly because it was brand new. A buddy has an Ironwood 650 and he has had intermittent software problems as well. However, it seems like every other poster here has had some sort of issue with the Smokefire enough to make me wary of spending $1200 on a grill that appears to be not quite ready. Still undecided.

I do want to thank everyone who has shared their experiences so far. That’s the beauty of these type of forums.
Frankly after owning a Traeger Texas Elite 34 for almost 4 years and a Weber Kettle I have found my way full circle to NOT wanting anything that has a computer or auger or any kind of technical gadgetry! So my gift to myself is going to be a new Weber Kettle and I am a happy camper with an extra 1K in my pocket. My bbq needs are quite simple. Funny that it took all these hassles to get me back to some simplicity. I am not saying I will never buy a SmokeFire. Just not right now.

My wife and I talked about this and we decided that I don't need the waste of time or frustration of dealing with a grill that is having the myriad issues that this SmokeFire is having. So I wrote to Weber and told them to either have the carrier return delivery or I just will not accept delivery. I have already spent way TOO much time on this not ready for Primetime grill. Baby Back Maniac's latest video cemented that for me. I know Weber will take care of their customers, but I am not going to be one in this case.
You are making the right decision. I smoked a brisket for 12 hours yesterday and had issue after issue until finally I pulled it off the last hour to finish in the oven because the cooker kept losing temp fast and I had to do the shut down process twice and still it was having issues. Also the controller and software are very buggy. I called Weber support and gave them all my issues and they are supposed to call me back tomorrow. Sorry, but I want a refund.

You are making the right decision. I smoked a brisket for 12 hours yesterday and had issue after issue until finally I pulled it off the last hour to finish in the oven because the cooker kept losing temp fast and I had to do the shut down process twice and still it was having issues. Also the controller and software are very buggy. I called Weber support and gave them all my issues and they are supposed to call me back tomorrow. Sorry, but I want a refund.
Yes, I humbly asked them to accept my return. I just don't need this kind of crap and neither do you. My concern is for people that have assembled them and used them... are they going to be treated poorly because they had to find out first hand that these units are faulty overall? That is a HUGE question. In my case the unit is in transit. They can either have the transit company ship it back or I will refuse receipt. In the end it is still in the box and I am not opening that can of worms with them. The more I think about it, and I have watched every YouTube and read most every post here... the madder I get. They have really done a disservice to their own name and more importantly, many long term customers. I do believe they will make it right, but I am not up to being in that crowd. Too many other things to do. Like you all are not in the same boat? Okay, mini rant over. I am trying to be fair.

Something tells me that the issues, mostly are gonna require a new hopper assembly. Hopefully weber just fixes it rather than bandaiding the problems.

Something tells me that the issues, mostly are gonna require a new hopper assembly. Hopefully weber just fixes it rather than bandaiding the problems.
I just am finding it INcredible that they DID NOT KNOW about this? I do not believe that. As a matter of fact it is one of the biggest reasons I decided not to go forward. Software is one thing. This is a HARDWARE issue.

I just am finding it INcredible that they DID NOT KNOW about this? I do not believe that. As a matter of fact it is one of the biggest reasons I decided not to go forward. Software is one thing. This is a HARDWARE issue.

I tend to agree with you. I'm absolutely loving mine so far, but you know how that is. I'm tolerant of the because it's new. Given I haven't had a hiccup yet, maybe if I have a few issues in a few months, I won't be so tolerant.

I tend to agree with you. I'm absolutely loving mine so far, but you know how that is. I'm tolerant of the because it's new. Given I haven't had a hiccup yet, maybe if I have a few issues in a few months, I won't be so tolerant.
I am so happy you are not having the issues that are being reported. For me my frustration level is already high because of the amount of research I have done and listened to. So for me it is better I not go down this road and since I have not received it yet, I will return. I certainly don't want to be a hater, and I am not. In fact I am buying a new Weber Kettle for my consolation prize! God bless.

Brian,

Let me start by saying I grew up in Manteca - Went to Neil Hafley and East Union - With that said I think you are looking way to much into all this stuff. I read the same reviews you do and see the same videos,. I truly believe that if you take your time and put it together right and update all your software before trying to rush into your burn in that you will be fine. There are just as many positive posts as the negative out there. I myself am excited to get my E6 tomorrow and if there is a problem I trust weber will make it right. Patience

Brian,

Let me start by saying I grew up in Manteca - Went to Neil Hafley and East Union - With that said I think you are looking way to much into all this stuff. I read the same reviews you do and see the same videos,. I truly believe that if you take your time and put it together right and update all your software before trying to rush into your burn in that you will be fine. There are just as many positive posts as the negative out there. I myself am excited to get my E6 tomorrow and if there is a problem I trust weber will make it right. Patience
Yes, you are probably right. But I am not willing to deal with that and fortunately I can send it back. I would have been class of 79 if I actually graduated at East Union. Went to Calla and did an equivalency instead. Boca! I am just a poor Lathrop boy made good. Love the gulf side there. Tampa Bay. It's all good.

Haven't been back there in a long time - I wish you the best with your new Weber Kettle - Maybe we will catch you back soon once you change your mind.
I am still going to be here. I just decided I didn't want to be a beta user. I may very well still get one, just not today. I want to simplify...

Hey Brian, sorry to hear that but I can completely understand the reasoning behind it. That’s a lot of money to beta test a product! I surely hope you stick around, it’s been great having your insight.

Hey Brian, sorry to hear that but I can completely understand the reasoning behind it. That’s a lot of money to beta test a product! I surely hope you stick around, it’s been great having your insight.
I am going to be around. I have enjoyed meeting you too. Like I said I am not a hater, and I do hope they work out the kinks. I would still like to have one someday.

Back