Observations on Assembling 2nd Gen EX6

G_Gryphon

Reaction score
I just assembled my new 2nd generation EX6 today. I was constrained to my garage because it was snowing out so I have not yet done the initial burn, which I plan to do tomorrow. I thought I would just point out a couple of things that I noticed.

First, it appears that they have just repackaged the grills back into their original boxes after making the modifications. I noticed that on several corners of the box, the original manufacturing details / serial numbers have been covered up with new stickers.

B2F47D7C-1BEB-4860-AD55-B6DC17676106.jpeg

I also noticed that the owner’s manual that came in the box is a newer version than is even on their website. The new one is dated 9/4/20. There are two changes that I noticed right away (there could be more), one to do with the initial burn-in and one clarifying the fuse language that was so confusing.

The initial burn has been reduced to 450F from the original 600F:

BA12EDDE-06D7-41DA-94DB-B1527926E2CB.jpeg

Then the fuse replacement section has been edited for clarity on the fuse details:

4F39BD8E-A623-4EF7-8265-81BC4DBF03F7.jpeg

I want to thank everyone on here for all of your great contributions because I was able to implement at least three modifications that people have found useful right from the start. I installed the big 5” rubber locking casters instead of the originals, I put a 1/2” hose clamp on the glow plug to ensure a good connection, and I put some nylon washers on between the front tables and the side brackets to eliminate metal-on-metal contact.

I was able to update the firmware running the Weber Connect app on my iPhone without a hitch. Now, all that’s left to do tomorrow is fire it up and put it through the paces. I’m planning on easing into things with a simple cook of 80/20 burgers for dinner after the initial break-in and cool down / clean. If there’s no hitches, then six racks of baby backs are on deck the next day, followed next week by a double-smoked Kurobuta ham and a spatchcocked turkey.

Let the good times begin (I hope)!

Enjoy

Where did you source the 5" wheels, and can you post a pic?

Very interesting about the packaging and new labels. Can you find the original manufacturing date?

Last edited:
Where did you source the 5" wheels, and can you post a pic?

Very interesting about the packaging and new labels. Can you find the manufacturing date?
These are the ones I got. They also offer 4” which would also be fine IMO.
1E41E243-8F62-4963-896F-4BBCA0EFC119.png

They prob did the 450F one because if you do that now on 600F you need 4 bags of pellets😂😂😂

Sorry, been a busy last few days. Yes, those are the exact wheels I used. I utilized the locking washer and flat washer from the wheels when I attached them. They are a HUGE step up over the originals. They roll very easily and lock down very securely.

They prob did the 450F one because if you do that now on 600F you need 4 bags of pellets😂😂😂
It took probably 80% of a bag to do my rib cook the other day! I’d estimate that I probably had the SF running for 7 hours or so in total. Two factors that I’m thinking caused that are the ambient temperature (high 30’s-low 40’s F) and the elevation (cooking at 6600’ MSL). No complaints however!
1AEAE318-09B7-4A24-B51B-4B8655C4CB5E.jpeg

202AD7AD-764E-47A2-90EA-32FADBF97858.jpeg

A51E53AC-3003-425A-92B2-8675E8D6862F.jpeg

Back