Not sure of the GMG pizza attachment is an accessory or mod...

Arrived today and tried it out to see what it heated to on my EX4, experienced a few problems along the way, which i think will need some modding due to the flames not going straight up the hole and some flames even escaping out the back or front (depending where I positioned on the Grate runners.

Tried the back tabs on the the actual grate runner at the back which left quite a bit of overhang on the front, at 360-380F the flames didn't seem to bad and most went up the hole but the stone never got higher than 450F, turned it up to 400f and the flames came out the back

View attachment 5363

View attachment 5364

Moved it to the slightly higher ledge at the back above the runner, same thing happened with temps as above but flames came out the front on occasions and the stone never went past 450F

View attachment 5366
View attachment 5365

Was out there 2 hours in all trying to get it right, moved it slightly left or right occasionally, but it still persisted, when I moved it further back could see what was happening in the burn pot and with the lid opened constantly the temp drops on occasions, the Smokefire tries to compensate by firing more pellets, but they build up towards the front of the burn pot and getting a raging fire when they finally ignite.

Hopefully a modded pipe down to the burn pot will control the flame better, so long as any escaped flame doesn't shoot up the pellet chute towards the augur.

If anyone has done a successful mod or can see where I've gone wrong be grateful for advice, can see it could work, just not ideal at the moment, hoped the stone would heat up more

Thank you for all the great information, I now know not to schedule a pizza party anytime soon. I’m looking forward to trying some things.

I'd definitely have a test run first, except for a couple of shutdowns I ran that thing for over 2 hours and as I say never got the stone above 450F, the air never got so hot I couldn't put my hand inside it, at any stage. The weather was 70F light breeze, so decent conditions.

Other thing I noticed, you get quite a lot of ash inside so when you take it out, be careful how you lift it and empty it as it can get quite messy if you don't.

That lovely orange flame going up the hole you see in some people's photo is there, but not all the time, when the pellets are burning and it is constant, you think great, but when the pellets don't and you're left with just a few glowing pellets in the burn pot, as would normally happen with the Smokefire and the lid open, the temperature drops till it starts dropping pellets again, but of course it fires a lot to compensate for the temperature and hence the excessive flame as they all start to burn at once.

I did try closing the lid, but I couldn't relax after I'd seen all the flames climbing out the front or back, depending on the position of it.

Don't think I'll try again till somebody comes out with a successful piece of pipe mod and supplies the dimensions, .r shows me if I went wrong somewhere.

I have some good ideas I will work on next week, I’m swamped at work and home this week, but I will gather the parts and tools I need to be ready.
Only problem I see is I have a bunch of tools and access to all kinds of stainless and carbon pipe. I want to do something everyone can do, I will keep that in mind.

Last edited:
I have some good ideas I will work on next week, I’m swamped at work and home this week, but I will gather the parts and tools I need to be ready.
Only problem I see is I have a bunch of tools and access to all kinds of stainless and carbon pipe. I want to do something everyone can do, I will keep that in mind.
Thanks keep us informed what you come up with, definitely benefit from something, from my experience anyway

I did a quick test fit yesterday before dinner, forgot to grab a tape measure though. Out of the box it fits quite well, though trimming a bit off the tabs would allow it to sit right in the track for the grates. It must sit directly centered over the firepot to reach proper temps, on my EX6 that doesn't leave enough room on either side for the grates.
View attachment 5336View attachment 5337
View attachment 5338View attachment 5339

View attachment 5341
Does your work surface fold down?

Does your work surface fold down?
Yes, it's mounted on two stainless folding brackets. Super sturdy setup. Also inverted the lid handle mounts to increase the clearance between the handle and the work surface.

20220403_173858.jpg
20220403_173917.jpg
20220403_172913.jpg

Jayjay 1976 - working on a shelf of my own, using the same brackets as you did. Question - what did you use to coat/seal the wood?
I will chime in and say to make it a spar sealer having UV protection. Marine grade sorta stuff I believe.

Jayjay 1976 - working on a shelf of my own, using the same brackets as you did. Question - what did you use to coat/seal the wood?
I bought my acacia shelf material pre-treated with mineral oil to serve as a countertop. I plan to maintain it with Boos board oil and paste wax as needed. Sealing wood that only sees occasional water exposure can cause problems with the natural ingress/egress of humidity so I'll stick with an open coat and maintain it as needed. I'm getting ready to customize it with a wood burning of a butcher's hog diagram, rustic is 100% okay with me.

I'd definitely have a test run first, except for a couple of shutdowns I ran that thing for over 2 hours and as I say never got the stone above 450F, the air never got so hot I couldn't put my hand inside it, at any stage. The weather was 70F light breeze, so decent conditions.

Other thing I noticed, you get quite a lot of ash inside so when you take it out, be careful how you lift it and empty it as it can get quite messy if you don't.

That lovely orange flame going up the hole you see in some people's photo is there, but not all the time, when the pellets are burning and it is constant, you think great, but when the pellets don't and you're left with just a few glowing pellets in the burn pot, as would normally happen with the Smokefire and the lid open, the temperature drops till it starts dropping pellets again, but of course it fires a lot to compensate for the temperature and hence the excessive flame as they all start to burn at once.

I did try closing the lid, but I couldn't relax after I'd seen all the flames climbing out the front or back, depending on the position of it.

Don't think I'll try again till somebody comes out with a successful piece of pipe mod and supplies the dimensions, .r shows me if I went wrong somewhere.
That's strange, I've run successfully the CGM oven on an EX6 cooking 5 pizzas, with the stone at 600° and grill set to 450°. I am using Weber pellets, not sure if that matters. Agree, if the temp settles the fire pot will not rage. Perhaps try changing the temp a bit, but given the controller you may need to tinker more. The gap between the fire pot and oven is only 3-4", but I don't see an issue with stone temp. Maybe on the EX4 you get to temp faster, so perhaps try a higher temp, say 475-500°. I'm planning to experiment more once another project is done at home, as I want the stone to be 650-700° range.

I bought my acacia shelf material pre-treated with mineral oil to serve as a countertop. I plan to maintain it with Boos board oil and paste wax as needed. Sealing wood that only sees occasional water exposure can cause problems with the natural ingress/egress of humidity so I'll stick with an open coat and maintain it as needed. I'm getting ready to customize it with a wood burning of a butcher's hog diagram, rustic is 100% okay with me.
Thanks for this information. I'll post a picture of my creation once it's all complete.

I have the EX4 and bought the GMG Daniel Boone oven…. It works great! I had the grill set to 450 F and the stone registered over 600 F within 25 minutes. I cooked a delicious pizza with a nice crispy crust. It is a bit oddly shaped Because it stuck to my peel a little but otherwise it was great! I haven’t done any modification to extend the oven tube to the fire pot. I figure the heat will generally go into the oven attachment anyway if you align the tube!

Yes, it's mounted on two stainless folding brackets. Super sturdy setup. Also inverted the lid handle mounts to increase the clearance between the handle and the work surface.

View attachment 5380View attachment 5378View attachment 5379
BTW - as I work on my homemade shelf version (pictures coming), I did the handle inversion as you suggested. At first it doesn't seem like it would make a big difference since that shim angle is small, but it actually does improve things noticeably. I still can't close the lid with my cast iron skillet on the currently installed Weber shelf ... one thing at a time. 8^)

So after seeing the flame going out the back in one of these posts I decided to drill a hole in my diffuser to accept the GMG pipe.
This set up worked flawlessly and the GMG oven fit very nice.
I paid $82 shipped for mine from a site that has damaged boxes but perfect ovens.

CD725B00-3C64-4C3B-B162-729C7BEF6001.jpeg
FFB64E41-D08C-4D0B-955C-AE63ECB8BDE2.jpeg
C449E44F-20C6-46CC-BF0D-2B7D28362E77.jpeg
A4AAFCE9-9EAE-4D3E-903E-C9D19E7645A2.jpeg
I did a few pre made pizzas on my initial run but now feel very confident it can be done and will make my own dough and sauce next time.

Back