No Bark ???

JYD-BBQ

Reaction score
Good Morning from Long Island, NY

I did my first pork butt on July 5th and did another one yesterday. I can't get that beautiful bark that I see all of you have on your pork butts. Both were 3.5 lb. boneless butts from Butcher Box. I trimmed, tied and rubbed both exactly the same way, the first one was injected with apple juice and apple cider vinegar. They both sat at room temperature for about 45 minutes before they went on the smoker. The first one was on the Smokefire the second was on the WSM. Both smokers ran at 225-240 and both cooks took about 5.5 hours. I had water in the pan on the WSM and a tray with water under the grates on the Smokefire. I did not "spritz" either one.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

BBQ 4.jpgBBQ 5.jpgBBQ 6.jpgBBQ 7.jpgBBQ 8.jpg

IME, bark production has a few variables.
1)time in smoke
2)amount of smoke
3)surface courseness

Given the small size of those butts, you can only smoke them so long...maybe you exacerbated the problem with the highish smoking temps for the small size? The butts I typically smoke are 10-12lbs, and I've been running them in the smoke mode for 3-4hrs, then another 12-16hrs at 225. I imagine if I pulled mine at 5.5hrs the bark would be on the light side too. Cooking them for 19-20hrs ends up with delicious dark meteorite bark.
The one other thing I've noticed is I seem to get better bark with a rougher surface, that means more pepper for me. I put an absolute crapload of pepper on anything I am trying to develop bark on. This means >1/4 CUP of course ground black pepper. 1/4 cup is the start of how much I use, sometimes quite a bit more.

This butt went 20 hrs and it was amazing, I think your biggest problem is lack of time on the grill. If you can't get a larger butt, next time run it on smokeboost for 2 hrs, then let it run at 200 for as long as you can. try to get 10+hrs

IMG_3246.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed that you have a probe in the butt. What temp did you go to? The USDA now says that 140-145 is done for pork. It used to be approximately 165. Finishing at these lower temps will not give you a good, crisp bark. I generally run mine to around 200 internal temp to facilitate pulling a bone-in-butt. And it has bark.

1)time in smoke
2)amount of smoke
3)surface courseness

Given the small size of those butts, you can only smoke them so long...maybe you exacerbated the problem with the highish smoking temps for the small size? The butts I typically smoke are 10-12lbs, and I've been running them in the smoke mode for 3-4hrs, then another 12-16hrs at 225. I imagine if I pulled mine at 5.5hrs the bark would be on the light side too. Cooking them for 19-20hrs ends up with delicious dark meteorite bark.
The one other thing I've noticed is I seem to get better bark with a rougher surface, that means more pepper for me. I put an absolute crapload of pepper on anything I am trying to develop bark on. This means >1/4 CUP of course ground black pepper. 1/4 cup is the start of how much I use, sometimes quite a bit more.

This butt went 20 hrs and it was amazing, I think your biggest problem is lack of time on the grill. If you can't get a larger butt, next time run it on smokeboost for 2 hrs, then let it run at 200 for as long as you can. try to get 10+hrs

View attachment 1183
Thanks for the info, I will keep experimenting.

I noticed that you have a probe in the butt. What temp did you go to? The USDA now says that 140-145 is done for pork. It used to be approximately 165. Finishing at these lower temps will not give you a good, crisp bark. I generally run mine to around 200 internal temp to facilitate pulling a bone-in-butt. And it has bark.
I pulled both at 203 internal, besides the probe I also checked a few spots with an instant read thermometer. The taste and he moisture on both were good.

1)time in smoke
2)amount of smoke
3)surface courseness

View attachment 1183
Yep, the dude is correct!!

Amount of and ingredients in your rub are also factors.

Are you saying too many ingredients
No, just the amount applied and the particular ingredients. Also the coarseness of the grind

No, just the amount applied and the particular ingredients. Also the coarseness of the grind
Got it, I’ve gotten killer bark with just salt and pepper. I’ve also gotten great bark with a bunch of rubs with a lot of ingredients, I think dude was in to something with the time in the smoke. A big piece allows you to stay in a lot longer.

Got it, I’ve gotten killer bark with just salt and pepper. I’ve also gotten great bark with a bunch of rubs with a lot of ingredients, I think dude was in to something with the time in the smoke. A big piece allows you to stay in a lot longer.
Many factors. The particular cooker and the humid level in the cooker etc etc.

I do salt, lots of pepper and garlic. I smoke until the internal temperature is 165, I then wrap in foil or butcher paper your choice and continue until the internal is 205-210. I then rest it in a cooler with the wrap on, towel on top and on the bottom. I let it rest no less than an hour longer if I can. As you can see the bone is falling out. At this point it pulls very easily and melts like butter in your mouth.

Attachments

• DFFC880C-5FEC-4E0A-B607-0257E7A6012A.jpeg
    DFFC880C-5FEC-4E0A-B607-0257E7A6012A.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 46
Good Morning from Long Island, NY

I did my first pork butt on July 5th and did another one yesterday. I can't get that beautiful bark that I see all of you have on your pork butts. Both were 3.5 lb. boneless butts from Butcher Box. I trimmed, tied and rubbed both exactly the same way, the first one was injected with apple juice and apple cider vinegar. They both sat at room temperature for about 45 minutes before they went on the smoker. The first one was on the Smokefire the second was on the WSM. Both smokers ran at 225-240 and both cooks took about 5.5 hours. I had water in the pan on the WSM and a tray with water under the grates on the Smokefire. I did not "spritz" either one.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

View attachment 1178View attachment 1179View attachment 1180View attachment 1181View attachment 1182
What rub are you using?

I start with a base of Bad Byron's Butt Rub and add brown sugar and cumin. I run it through a food processor so it is a fairly fine consistency.

Latest Discussions

Back