New to the Pellet scene

JumboShrimp

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hello everyone!

New to the Pellet grill scene and have never really done any smoking. Used kettles for most of my grilling life and switched to propane when I had kids. Have always struggled with the lack of flavor produced by propane grilling. Really excited about the EX4 and the ability to do both (smoke and grill) with one unit. I guess I am looking for any hints or tips some of you "seasoned" veterans can offer.

Good base starting Pellet?
Do I really need to use only Weber Pellets?
Favorite Rubs?
Any other pro recommendations?

Use only Weber or Lumber Jack pellets (smaller diameter). It will save you problems in the long run.

Use only Weber or Lumber Jack pellets (smaller diameter). It will save you problems in the long run.
I could not agree more.

People will say that other pellets work (and they do work) but are more prone to issues since they are a larger diameter which the SF was not designed to use.

I have 2 pieces of advise..

1: If you aren't assembling it yourself (the store is for example), check over it before using to make sure that it has been done right. Some things are very easy to get wrong and can cause issues.
The BLIT app is very helpful when checking or building it yourself.

2: Keep it clean and don't do stupid things with it.
By that I mean clean it out after fatty cooks (drip pans help with this) and don't crank up the heat and sear a steak or something unless you have cleaned it first. This includes emptying the draw underneath.

If you run into any problems we are here to help.

Last edited:
Welcome! I only have used Weber pellets so can’t speak to other brands but have had good luck with them. I tend to use the Grillmaster blend most often

Remove the wire finger guard, haven’t had to touch pellets since doing this. If you do it, only remove one screw at a time as they hold the auger chute in place. Also stuff a rag in the auger chute in case drop a screw.

I’m a huge fan of Oakridge, Meat Church and Hardcore Carnivore rubs. I use a lot of Oakridge Secret Weapon, Holy Voodoo, and HC Red.

Welcome! I only have used Weber pellets so can’t speak to other brands but have had good luck with them. I tend to use the Grillmaster blend most often

Remove the wire finger guard, haven’t had to touch pellets since doing this. If you do it, only remove one screw at a time as they hold the auger chute in place. Also stuff a rag in the auger chute in case drop a screw.

I’m a huge fan of Oakridge, Meat Church and Hardcore Carnivore rubs. I use a lot of Oakridge Secret Weapon, Holy Voodoo, and HC Red.
Tried the HC meatchelda rub a couple weeks ago. Very unique and quite good in my opinion. Had a decent heat that built as you consumed the protein and or veggies. Has some lime flavoring as well. We used it on a flatiron w/ onion and peppers. I’ll be using it more often. Your suggestions are all winners. 👍🏻

Just pretend I wrote this!

Did I win the SmokeFire lottery?

Attachments

• 39522444-21E7-44D0-87A3-A5A44FB59203.jpeg
    39522444-21E7-44D0-87A3-A5A44FB59203.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 8
Probably not…as some are having glow plug issues. #DutchieCooks

One more question. Do you leave your pellets in the hopper? Should I plan on removing them to avoid moisture issues?

I have pellets in mine all the time, not much moisture here in Phoenix, but the only time I exemptied mine was to get rid of yucky treager pellets, and once to chang the auger out. So that 2x in 1.5 yrs.

Run that bad boy!! I have 2 thoughts on accessories…
1) wait to make sure you like it and then buy accessories
2) Be like me and buy a shit ton of accessories and then you have no choice but to keep it and love it!!

Hello everyone!

New to the Pellet grill scene and have never really done any smoking. Used kettles for most of my grilling life and switched to propane when I had kids. Have always struggled with the lack of flavor produced by propane grilling. Really excited about the EX4 and the ability to do both (smoke and grill) with one unit. I guess I am looking for any hints or tips some of you "seasoned" veterans can offer.

Good base starting Pellet?
Do I really need to use only Weber Pellets?
Favorite Rubs?
Any other pro recommendations?

Back