New SmokeFire JunOS

AHoneyman

Reaction score
Grill
Weber Smoke Fire EX6, Weber Genesis E-310, Vision Series B
Folks, there is a new jun OS out there. However, I did not receive any notification in the app. I was looking because a "Down Under" member asked about it in another thread. I did get an update after leaving my phone next to the SF for 30 minutes and then doing a shut down. The restart loaded the new junOS. However, I lost the firmware recognition. See pictures below before and after the update.

IMG_2293.jpg IMG_2294.jpg

UPDATE: The recognition of the firmware version took multiple on-off cycles of the controller. I am now showing the firmware as version 4042 again.

Last edited:
just got this email from Weber this morning.

We appreciate your patience in this matter.

We have successfully finished testing our new update, and is ready for installation.

The SmokeFire software update process can be initiated as follows:

• Plug in the SmokeFire grill
• Push the SmokeFire power button ON
• Confirm that you have the latest version of the Weber Connect app installed on your phone as well as the latest software version on SmokeFire
• You can find the latest version information here
• Pair SmokeFire to the Weber Connect app via Bluetooth; updates will not complete if SmokeFire is connected to WiFi
• Ensure that your smartphone is within Bluetooth range for approximately 25 minutes as the update takes place
• After 25 minutes, shut down your grill by navigating to Grill Settings (on the control screen) and enter shutdown mode. Once shut down is complete, the grill will display that it’s safe to turn off your grill. At this time, flip the grill switch off. Once the grill has completely shut down, power SmokeFire back on again for the update to sync to the grill controller.
• Once the grill is powered back on, wait one minute, and then navigate to the grill’s About screen to confirm software has been updated to the latest version
• This can also be checked in the app by tapping on the three dots at the bottom of the screen > tapping on the picture of SmokeFire > Scroll down to “About”

The new Update will be June OS (2491).

Interestingly enough, I did not get an email. I was told yesterday morning that there was no fix yet. :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
I got a we are working on it email few days ago and then this one this morning.

Done, hope it works.
I’ll be doing lamb chops and Tri tip tomorrow for dinner, with some potatoes and onions on the GBS griddle. See if I can fancy it up for a SF Smoke of the the month entry.

Do a couple of power up and down and the firmware will adjust back to 4042.
I wasn’t really paying attention to that part I know it will work itself out, I was happy the update worked and can’t wait to get it fired up tonight.

I fired mine up last night and it updated. I assume either the apple update or the SF one now allows the iPad to orient sideways. Was a real disappointment previously that you could only view in the long direction. No more!

Just finished updating mine...didn’t work with my Android phone, but did with my iPad ( probably because it has a newer version of the Weber Connect App than the Android which was last update on 9/22).

it did take 2 re-powers to get the firmware to show.

Last edited:
Finished software update, and while it was a nice 75 degree day I installed the new one-piece chute and auger — a lot of excess pellet dust in old auger and evidence of binding against mounting plate to motor— that I have had since August and scraped grease buildup out of the unit and into tray.

I ran it through its paces, from 500 (slight excess grease fire due to operator error in not cleaning the tray before firing it up, but easily controlled by closing cover and decreasing temp) . Then up to 600F, down to 350, then 200F. Overall ran for over 2 hours and all looks stable.

Test tomorrow or Monday with a 15# USDA Prime packer brisket...hoping for the best as it will run unattended overnight.

Last edited:
Could be my imagination because I didn’t time anything, but I could swear it started faster, reacted to temp changes faster and shut dawn faster. Seemed significantly faster. anybody else?

Could be my imagination because I didn’t time anything, but I could swear it started faster, reacted to temp changes faster and shut dawn faster. Seemed significantly faster. anybody else?
Totally agree! I ran through four temperature ranges almost 100 degrees apart and was very impressed by the response times and the ability to narrow in on the set-point. Not sure how the changed the PID Control Logic, but my guess is the “lightened up” on t.he “D”.

Back