New Flameout Issues

Captainmike

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this?

Flaming out when going to Smokeboost from low temp startup or directly on startup. Issue I am seeing is the startup is dumping a bunch of pellets in, and the temp spikes past my set temp. Once it seems to settle in I turn on SB mode and it slowly but surely smothers the fire. I bought an ambient probe to monitor SB mode. Have to intervene to relight then of course it’s over powering flames until it settles back down. It got me first time with a brisket cook (seared the bottom in first 15 min of cook). I was initially mad but it turned out to be the best brisket I ever made so that was kind of a happy accident but I don’t want to have this happen again, so anytime I try SB mode I’ve been watching and it is consistent. It’s also been 95-103 degrees here in North Texas last couple weeks which seems to coincide with the issues.

Set now just fine at 250, tons of smoke rolling. Wondering if the high ambient temps make it tough to maintain lower temps for SB, I’m sure there’s a minimum Delta required based on fuel type (Weber pellets).

I have never experienced flameout issues before and owned since Feb. All parts/FW up to date, keep firebox clean, etc....

Attachments

• B6C91513-BEF7-447A-96AC-7F3A368CEF69.jpeg
    B6C91513-BEF7-447A-96AC-7F3A368CEF69.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 54
  • FA0D4C48-F446-4CCC-B106-9013D3BE4453.jpeg
    FA0D4C48-F446-4CCC-B106-9013D3BE4453.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 46
  • E968EADA-C5EB-4234-A97A-1BC4B345B0D2.jpeg
    E968EADA-C5EB-4234-A97A-1BC4B345B0D2.jpeg
    517.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
the order I do is at follow when I want to use smokeboost:
  1. open smokefire
  2. select smokeboost from the controller or app.
  3. wait until I see smoke.
  4. put on the meat
  5. close lit
  6. wait 1-2-3-4 hours depending on flavour profile you wish.
  7. then turn off smokeboost and set target temp and be patient. leave meat on the grill.
that is it. As far as I could find information on how to use the smokeboost you should best use it from the start. so not first set target temp as smokeboost only works between 70-110 degrees (Celcius)

just sharing my experience

1. open smokefire
  4. put on the meat
  5. close lit
  7. then turn off smokeboost and set target temp and be patient. leave meat on the grill.
that is it. As far as I could find information on how to use the smokeboost you should best use it from the start. so not first set target temp as smokeboost only works between 70-110 degrees (Celcius)

That’s pretty much what I was doing (then had the brisket sear problem). I would go straight to SB from startup. More I think about it more I think it has to do with the high ambient temps here.

I always set the initial temp to 200 to get the unit going and stabilized. When it hits 200, I put on the meat and turn on SmokeBoost. It is only a few degrees cooler and when you considered the time that most of us use SmokeBoost, it is a fraction of the time at "over temp." After the desired time with SmokeBoost, I turn up the temp. I have had no problems and, Captainmike, my SF is setting in the Texas sunshine. And it hasn't even got real hot yet.......

Come on, November.

I always set the initial temp to 200 to get the unit going and stabilized. When it hits 200, I put on the meat and turn on SmokeBoost. It is only a few degrees cooler and when you considered the time that most of us use SmokeBoost, it is a fraction of the time at "over temp." After the desired time with SmokeBoost, I turn up the temp. I have had no problems and, Captainmike, my SF is setting in the Texas sunshine. And it hasn't even got real hot yet.......

Come on, November.
Haha yeah I know right?! 🤣 And mine is sitting in the Texas sunshine in the afternoons it will show 105-110 ambient with cover freshly off! I have experimented and done the same as well starting it at 200, 225, or 250 let it stabilize and go to SB and it fizzles out.

what is interesting is recent when I was running SB my ambient was showing the SF consistently at 210-220 never really dropping under 200 except when cooler at night or earlier before temps went up. It ran consistently in the 170-190 range in those scenarios.

Maybe something else is up just haven’t pinpointed it yet. Been running strong at 250 all day otherwise.

Come on, November.
This is pretty much what I’ve done when using SmokeBoost and so far no issues. Hasn’t been as hot here though. Upper 80s to mid 90s but humid. I’ve had my SmokeFire read 110 before starting it when sitting in sun with cover on.

1. open smokefire
  4. put on the meat
  5. close lit

Thanks bbq4ever, this helped a lot, and is more clear than anything I found on the weber website. I used yestderday for first time on skinless chicken thights and they were great, and I anticipate similar results on tri-tip this afternoon.

I'm interested to know where you live in the Netherlands, if you're comfortable giving this information. We've met friends in Amsterdam 2 times, and also came up from Paris for a 3-day stay when our son was with us. We've only been out to Zaanse Schauns and Harleem on day trips, but on our next trip we plan on spending more time outside Amsterdam, seeing Delft and going to Brugge, then hopefully winding back through southwest Netherlands on the return to Amsterdam.

Latest Discussions

Back