New Firmware 4045 is in the air!

Well I’m firing her up today...beef cast iron stuff. Did not see it trying to update.
The grill has to connect to BT on you mobile device to receive the update. If your phone BT is off when you power up it will not perform the update.
some users have had to delete the app from their phone, down load fresh.
Then reset the controller on the grill and then re-pair the smoke fire with the phone, making sure that Bluetooth is “ON” on your mobile device.
The last time I saw an update I noticed that the probe number indicator lights cycling through -1,2,3, 4 in rapid succession several times, then the update began?

The grill has to connect to BT on you mobile device to receive the update. If your phone BT is off when you power up it will not perform the update.
some users have had to delete the app from their phone, down load fresh.
Then reset the controller on the grill and then re-pair the smoke fire with the phone, making sure that Bluetooth is “ON” on your mobile device.
The last time I saw an update I noticed that the probe number indicator lights cycling through -1,2,3, 4 in rapid succession several times, then the update began?
Were you able to load the new 4045 firmware?

Yeah, it's clearly not out for everyone.

I am betting you will start seeing it either this coming Friday afternoon or the next Friday afternoon. The last time I got one of these, it was two weeks "early" and two weeks of hell. Not this time. It appears much better. But we need more numbers first.......

Beta users? Test monkeys?

I contacted CS and they said the update was not out yet and it would improve SB. They are sending me grate clips.

I hope it's an improvement and not a step back. Found this current firmware 4042 to be very stable. Done 3 cooks this week shortest in length 5 hours, longest 9 hours all in sub zero temps and sleet and snow and the temps have been rock steady. Smokeboost and cook temps have been stable for the whole duration of the cook and recover quickly after lid openings.

Changed my pellets as well to a different brand for these cooks also, whether that has helped as well don't know, but at this moment in time my EX4 has worked better than it ever has for me and I don't want to go backwards with some of the poor updates and misery that has been caused to me from previous Weber firmware updates.

Not saying the app doesn't needs an upgrade as it clearly does at the moment, but that is a seperate issue to the firmware.

Last edited:
Guys, I have been MIA recently from the grill but did some brats tonight. I noticed something that I did not notice on previous runs with 4045 which have been low and slow. Tonight, I ran at 325. Not real hot but more than the 225 before. The fan ran real hard all the time. There was no slow down to attempt to control temp like I have seen before. Temp control appeared to be by pellet feed alone. After the 325, I dropped down to 220. Again, a constant fan speed. I should have noticed it before.

At both temps, the air probe and the controller stayed within about 15 degrees. This is much better than I have seen previously with other firmware. But remember, I appear to be a n of one. We need more data. Later, alh.

Guys, I have been MIA recently from the grill but did some brats tonight. I noticed something that I did not notice on previous runs with 4045 which have been low and slow. Tonight, I ran at 325. Not real hot but more than the 225 before. The fan ran real hard all the time. There was no slow down to attempt to control temp like I have seen before. Temp control appeared to be by pellet feed alone. After the 325, I dropped down to 220. Again, a constant fan speed. I should have noticed it before.

At both temps, the air probe and the controller stayed within about 15 degrees. This is much better than I have seen previously with other firmware. But remember, I appear to be a n of one. We need more data. Later, alh.
Hey AHoneyman, are you a beta tester? Just asking since I do not seem to be able to pull the update. Have you tried smokeboost? Any flame outs?

Thanks for the intel.

I have appeared to be an unofficial tester on the last two firmware updates, which I do not mind doing if I was told about it before hand.

I have appeared to be an unofficial tester on the last two firmware updates, which I do not mind doing if I was told about it before hand.
Well that is odd? Do they contact you to ask how the FW is working or do they wait for black smoke coming from your back yard? LOL.

There is a Google analytics setting within the app. Who knows what they suck up? Same way that they do updates.

LOL - Have you had any flame outs running smokeboost? Sounds like the temperatures are holding better and closer to true temperatures.

Back