New EX6 User

Hal4UK

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6 GEN2
Hi y'all! I pulled the trigger on a new EX6. There was only ONE available anywhere near me and it was already built; I wanted one in the box, but it is what it is. I actually read the directions and read some stuff here, and last night, I fired it up. I removed the "lawyer's finger wire", loaded the hopper, updated the software and let-r-rip. It got to 450 pretty quick. Smelled like chemical gunk for a bit (as I expected) and gradually started smelling like smoke. I went inside the house a couple of times while it was heating and sure enough, the app was updating the temp as it climbed (I was worried the wi-fi might have issues with the EX6 being rolled outside the garage. I guess it was good enough.). It got to 450 and stayed there, very steady for a good while. I went longer than the 30-40 minutes suggested (to season it well). Somewhere around the 45-60 minute mark, it dropped all the way to 390. If it dropped to say, 420, or such and recovered I wouldn't have thought much of it, but 60 degrees off the mark seemed like a LOT to me (???). Gradually, it recovered to 450, but I was concerned. Back at 450, I opened the lid, did a quick grate clean (PAM doused paper towel with long tongs), closed the lid, and cranked it up to 600. It got to 600 in short order and I tossed some (not fatty) steaks on. Took those off at medium-rare and did the shutdown. So, all in all, it was pretty good run (aside from the 390 issue). Anyway... This is my first pellet grill. I knew some ash might find its way to the ash pan (duhhh), but I didn't really expect to see glowing embers flying all around in there. Is that to be expected? And if so, uhhh... why is the grease pan located inside the ash pan? I've read about grease fires with the SmokeFire, but I assumed it was probably morons tossing big pork bellies on at 500F with no pan underneath or just crazy things like that. Now, I'm concerned about cooking anything low and slow with any fat in it (which is what I really wanted it for - the steaks were just a test). THOUGHTS? Thanks!

Hi y'all! I pulled the trigger on a new EX6. There was only ONE available anywhere near me and it was already built; I wanted one in the box, but it is what it is. I actually read the directions and read some stuff here, and last night, I fired it up. I removed the "lawyer's finger wire", loaded the hopper, updated the software and let-r-rip. It got to 450 pretty quick. Smelled like chemical gunk for a bit (as I expected) and gradually started smelling like smoke. I went inside the house a couple of times while it was heating and sure enough, the app was updating the temp as it climbed (I was worried the wi-fi might have issues with the EX6 being rolled outside the garage. I guess it was good enough.). It got to 450 and stayed there, very steady for a good while. I went longer than the 30-40 minutes suggested (to season it well). Somewhere around the 45-60 minute mark, it dropped all the way to 390. If it dropped to say, 420, or such and recovered I wouldn't have thought much of it, but 60 degrees off the mark seemed like a LOT to me (???). Gradually, it recovered to 450, but I was concerned. Back at 450, I opened the lid, did a quick grate clean (PAM doused paper towel with long tongs), closed the lid, and cranked it up to 600. It got to 600 in short order and I tossed some (not fatty) steaks on. Took those off at medium-rare and did the shutdown. So, all in all, it was pretty good run (aside from the 390 issue). Anyway... This is my first pellet grill. I knew some ash might find its way to the ash pan (duhhh), but I didn't really expect to see glowing embers flying all around in there. Is that to be expected? And if so, uhhh... why is the grease pan located inside the ash pan? I've read about grease fires with the SmokeFire, but I assumed it was probably morons tossing big pork bellies on at 500F with no pan underneath or just crazy things like that. Now, I'm concerned about cooking anything low and slow with any fat in it (which is what I really wanted it for - the steaks were just a test). THOUGHTS? Thanks!
Yes. People being negligent or ignorant of how grease fires start. The system works great. Enjoy!

When I'm doing low and slow, I put pans under the meat so I have less to clean up. Someone on here remembers at what temp grease will catch fire, and IIRC it was 350 or 400 or more, so well above the low and slow range. Keep enough pellets in it and it will do fine.

Thanks Phil -- yeah I think I read 375. Not really worried too much; I'm just a newbie with the EX6. Running 2nd time right now. Just some wings rolling at 275. So far, so good. Thanks!

Nothing fancy - just wings dusted with John Henry Chicken Tickler. Rolled at 275 and finished off at 375.
I didn't have any temp issues or problems at all. I used the SmokeHouse Blend from Sam's Club and I thought the flavor was spot on.

wings.jpg

Looks good. Welcome to the club.

Welcome and happy cooking. We like pics of your cooks

Another run, practicing with chicken thighs, to get ready for Turkey day (it's POULTRY, right?). EX6 ran perfect again, holding temps well, etc. I tried the B&B championship blend this time. Meh. Not bad, but the Sam's Smokehouse pellets I used on the wings were better. I guess I have to have *some* hickory to make me happy. Probably going to use those on Thursday (it's Oak/Hickory/Maple/Cherry).

ex6smoking.jpg

BandBchicken.jpg

Back