New EX4 hopper ramp

GriLLMaRksRseXy

Reaction score
Just received an email from customer service. Mine is due here tomorrow via Fedex.
Let us know what yours is like please. I REALLY want someone to test the actual capacity of the original hopper vs. the capacity of the modified hopper with the insert. When I mocked it up on my original smokefire it made the hopper look really small. Probably just my eyes but I am a scientist first lol. I will def check my replacement smokefire if I ever get it and post back on it.

OP
CEd4jets

CEd4jets

Reaction score
Let us know what yours is like please. I REALLY want someone to test the actual capacity of the original hopper vs. the capacity of the modified hopper with the insert. When I mocked it up on my original smokefire it made the hopper look really small. Probably just my eyes but I am a scientist first lol. I will def check my replacement smokefire if I ever get it and post back on it.
I'll let you know....

Rappture

Reaction score
Me 4, on FedEx truck out for delivery today. Wish it was here yesterday, threw a couple pastrami's in the EX4 a few hours ago.

OP
CEd4jets

CEd4jets

Reaction score
Just arrived. Looks like well polished stainless, but I'm not a metallurgist.

Attachments

OP
CEd4jets

CEd4jets

Reaction score
Just installed. Very easy job. A couple of comments: The new hopper is well finished. It is easier to remove and replace the silver screw by the auger hole with a 1/4" socket and extension rather than a flathead screwdriver. The black screw for the upper corner that they send is a sheet metal screw while the original is a machine screw. I opted to stay with the original machine screw as the frame is already threaded for it. The box that it comes in makes a good trough for emptying pellets from the hopper. Bonus!

Attachments

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I saw on my camera that fedex delivered mine today too. Will probably install tomorrow or Sunday depending on weather. Planning on some pulled pork Sunday. Will pellets fit between the ramp and the hopper walls?

edit : or under the ramp near the pellet removal hole?

OP
CEd4jets

CEd4jets

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I saw on my camera that fedex delivered mine today too. Will probably install tomorrow or Sunday depending on weather. Planning on some pulled pork Sunday. Will pellets fit between the ramp and the hopper walls?

edit : or under the ramp near the pellet removal hole?
I don’t think so. I have not filled it yet. Getting humid here and I don’t want
the pellets to get soggy. I’ll be cooking sometime this weekend or Monday.

Smysmy2

Reaction score
Just installed my hopper ramp. I had run the auger dry yesterday to see what the diminished capacity would be. I just filled it with 20lbs of lumberjack pellets. They seem to have a much smaller size distribution (long vs short) and lest saw dust than the Weber pellets. Hopefully they will work better. Too bad it won't help with the software update we need.
771B4CCE-7EBB-42AE-B42F-98A7251FF564.jpeg

GriLLMaRksRseXy

Reaction score
Just installed my hopper ramp. I had run the auger dry yesterday to see what the diminished capacity would be. I just filled it with 20lbs of lumberjack pellets. They seem to have a much smaller size distribution (long vs short) and lest saw dust than the Weber pellets. Hopefully they will work better. Too bad it won't help with the software update we need. View attachment 467
Awesome info!! Exactly what I wanted to see. How do you like those pellets? Are they worth the cost and how are they performing in your Smokefire?

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just installed my hopper ramp. I had run the auger dry yesterday to see what the diminished capacity would be. I just filled it with 20lbs of lumberjack pellets. They seem to have a much smaller size distribution (long vs short) and lest saw dust than the Weber pellets. Hopefully they will work better. Too bad it won't help with the software update we need. View attachment 467
Thanks for this info. I installed mine in my EX4 but didn’t add any pellets since it was starting to mist. Plan to fill it for pork butt tomorrow.

Smysmy2

Reaction score
I was able to get to 550 in 23 min. But, no higher. Yet this is far better than I was doing the past few days. They seem to work really well and the are almost half the cost. You can get them at Rural World for $8.88 for 20 lbs. Dick's sells them too but for $15 for the same bag. Dick's will price match, if you go into the store and order them they ship it to your home at the price matched cost for free. I had never heard of Rural World but there was one about 50 minutes away so I took a trip. I plan to go to Dick's next week.

ingiro22

Reaction score
Installed mine on the ex4. So far no change in the pellet feed, so I’m probably going to remove it to get the space back. Guess I’ll just have to stir the pellets occasionally 🤷🏼‍♂️

Latest Discussions