New app and software update!,,

And all my best efforts to update my FW and SW failed. Spent 1 1/2 hours on hold with Weber until they dropped my call. That and 82mph winds coming have me beyond pissed.

Here is what a sent Weber support after I had sometime to work with the SF after loading 4025. Waiting for a response, hopefully today.

4025 loaded without a hitch…

A few updates after installing 4025. Some good, some why is it doing this.

1. Smoke boost is so so. The grill temp never went below 200 on boost, hovered around 210 most of the time, smoke was minimal at best. The meat on the grill cooked as if it was set for 210. I did not try it before 4025 so not sure if it was the same with 4008. I thought boost was supposed to be about 165-185. There is more smoke when it is set at 200. For me this is a fail at this time.
  2. Once I reset the grill for 250 disabling smoke boost it took 21 min to finally get to setpoint. What was strange after setting temp the grill temp dropped to 185 before its turtle like climb to setpoint. Almost like the grill was confused.
  3. 600 was not an issue after 4025
  4. The temp difference from the controller to grill probe is still about 25F. Controller reads 250, grill temp 225. Controller 300 grill temp 275. What is strange is the grill probe and controller will be dead on and then eventually drift apart. The grill probe is brand new and calibrated in an ice bath and boiling water with a calibrated probe for comparison. Even after leaving the door open for 2min the grill temp was below 200 but the controller still read 300. The controller finally dropped to 250 closed the door and within a minute was back at 300, while the grill temp was 245.
  5. There is a ton of ash on the outside of the grill, way more then previous. I started with an impeccably clean grill prior to the test.
Overall it is better than previous software/firmware versions. It is a big improvement from what we had 2 months ago that’s for sure.

From one of my previous emails the grill has become again predictably erratic. As long as it does the same thing over and over I can adjust accordingly to get consistent results.

Please tell engineering to kill the reversing of the auger, pellets were packed at the bottom of the chute after only 3 cooks. I sift all my pellets so dust is not the issue it is crushed pellets. You have to pick them out to free them and then use a vacuum. I have been noticing a clinking and squeaking from the auger for the first 2-3 min of startup, this is something new from the last week or so. The motor is tight on the auger and so is the chute to the grill, I already checked.

I had a new one yesterday. After cooking a chuck roast for 4 hours I noticed my meat temp stalled at 135. Controller showed a steady 225. Checked back 15 minutes later and meat dropped to 129, controller still at 225. Puzzled, I suddenly realized the SF was off! The controller was locked up and I could not change anything. Powered down and restarted with no error codes. Dinner was a bit late. ALL efforts to contact Weber have been fruitless. Still trying to update SW and FW as we speak. Showing some promise as it has been working on it for 40 minutes. Had been getting an Update Failed message after 5 minutes.

I had a new one yesterday. After cooking a chuck roast for 4 hours I noticed my meat temp stalled at 135. Controller showed a steady 225. Checked back 15 minutes later and meat dropped to 129, controller still at 225. Puzzled, I suddenly realized the SF was off! The controller was locked up and I could not change anything. Powered down and restarted with no error codes. Dinner was a bit late. ALL efforts to contact Weber have been fruitless. Still trying to update SW and FW as we speak. Showing some promise as it has been working on it for 40 minutes. Had been getting an Update Failed message after 5 minutes.
I reported this problem to weber over 2 weeks ago, haven't heard anything from them.

After 2 hours no update completed.

Just updated the app to Android 9.7

What woeke
Just updated the app to Android 9.7

I have an android phone but and I'm sorry to say it the Weber app sucks big time on android. I have never ever been able to use it to update the SF successful.

I have also an iPhone there it Works well ( much much better) last SF update was done with a snap of the finger.

So if you can get hold of an iPhone try it with that one. One other thing some of the updates take a long time.

Last edited:
I had the same issue when I updated from 4003 to 4008.

What did the trick for me:
  1. Call Weber support, and as for there advice (always the first step)
But I did the following,
  1. Use iPhone instead of Android phone.
  2. Remove SF from app.
  3. Remove App
  4. Reinstall App (Do not connect the SF to the app)
  5. Do a factory reset of the SF
  6. Connect app to SF, by following instructions and be patience
No warranty or guaranty so best to call Weber.

Thanks for the response. Talked to Weber many times. Unfortunately I tried the factory reset method and didn’t work. It still tells me the software update failed 3-5 seconds after pairing as usual. I tried many other things (re-pair, recovery mode, etc). The OS is the latest but the firmware is still stuck at 4003. I will try it one more time..

I guess I will have to waste another hour with Weber on the phone :)

Thanks for the response. Talked to Weber many times. Unfortunately I tried the factory reset method and didn’t work. It still tells me the software update failed 3-5 seconds after pairing as usual. I tried many other things (re-pair, recovery mode, etc). The OS is the latest but the firmware is still stuck at 4003. I will try it one more time..

I guess I will have to waste another hour with Weber on the phone :)
If you can borrow an iPhone from a friend, install the app and try it with the iPhone. For me this does the trick up until now I was never able to use an android phone to do an update successfully.

When I fired up my EX6 for the 1st time everything worked, from SW & FW downloads to initial burn-in. Since my second cook I've experienced the same frustrations as many have posted about. My problem now is after successfully completing the 04025 FW update, the pellets failed to ignite. Has anyone else experienced this?

When I fired up my EX6 for the 1st time everything worked, from SW & FW downloads to initial burn-in. Since my second cook I've experienced the same frustrations as many have posted about. My problem now is after successfully completing the 04025 FW update, the pellets failed to ignite. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had the same thing. No issues in the first 3 weeks of having the grill, and then after 4025 update, the grill would not light. I figured out my glow plug no longer works (or at least is not getting hot). I was assuming it was just bad luck and the timing right after the FW upgrade was a coincidence. But if you are the second person, maybe not.

I am waiting on delivery of 2 new glow plugs, so hopefully that solves the issue.

Thanks! I am ordering glow plugs also. Please post when you receive them as you'll get yours sooner and it will help to know if they work.

How are you ordering the glow plugs ? Email or phone call ? I didn't see a way to order the part online.

How are you ordering the glow plugs ? Email or phone call ? I didn't see a way to order the part online.

I called the weber support phone number and asked them to send me 2 so I don't have to wait a week for replacement next time this happens. Should be covered under warranty if failing this quickly.

Shipping so far is very slow though... has been in the "Shipment label created" status since Monday, so not even picked up by courier yet.

Latest Discussions

Back