My First Brisket - UK Style

G2EWS

Reaction score
Managed to cook my first UK brisket, which turned out to be a bigger piece than I thought, when I removed it from the fridge! Ooops! Didn't start working on it until lunchtime.
In the main I followed a recipe as explained by another SF user.

The plan was SmokeFire at 250°F
Probe to 165°F
When it gets to 65°F wrap in foil, then cook until the probe goes in and out like it's a cake.

However, due to my late start, when I realised the internal temperature was going to take some time to get up to 165, I turned the SF up to 300. The good news was my oldest Son turned up with family to wish me a happy Father's day and the brisket stayed on the SF longer than planned in the foil. But that cannot be a bad thing.

The results where good, but I thought a bit salty. Am I right in thinking that if cooked for longer, the salt flavour eases off? Or do you peel the crust off?

However, as you will see, I managed to get the 'smoke ring' and everyone loved it.

To accompany it, I cooked:
Grilled Broccoli with toasted breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
Charred Asparagus with basil-lime dipping sauce
New potatoes

Attachments

Bruno

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I used to over season my big cuts of meat back when I started. I try to cut back on the salt these days.

OP
G

G2EWS

Reaction score
I used to over season my big cuts of meat back when I started. I try to cut back on the salt these days.
Thanks Bruno.

Watching Harry Sooo and others, they put masses of salt on.!

I thought that was all part of the process?

I have in fact, at the suggestion of someone else, bought some Maldon Sea Salt flakes, which I understand are not as salty and work as well. I will report back, when I try it again.

Regards

Chris

Bruno

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks Bruno.

Watching Harry Sooo and others, they put masses of salt on.!

I thought that was all part of the process?

I have in fact, at the suggestion of someone else, bought some Maldon Sea Salt flakes, which I understand are not as salty and work as well. I will report back, when I try it again.

Regards

Chris
Lol, I love Harry and you are right on that one.
I also picked up some Maldon after watching Trendkill’s videos, haven’t tried it yet, it looks good though.

KevinD

Reaction score
In my advanced age I have become more sensitive to salt and just choose to use less. Meathead believes in salting a day in advance and use a salt-free rub prior to cooking. Easier to control that way.

Latest Discussions