My EX6 Experiences

rexster314

3x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
I've been an owner of an EX6 since November 2020. From briskets to chicken wings and everything in between. Fish, fowl, red meat, sausages. You name it I've probably smoked or grilled it at least once. I've had several flameouts, but most were with the older firmware and trying to change temps. And I had one once when I was smoking food in a 25 degree ice storm on the deck.
I don't use Weber pellets unless they're on sale. I have the finger guard removed. I tried the low friction tape mod that after a while, couldn't tell the difference between it and the un-taped ramp..
I use mainly Pit Boss, B&B, and Kingsford pellets with great results. I get 600f searing temps, and with Smokeboost, 180f smoking temps. When I want cooler smokes, I use a smoking tube in the cooker.
I've gone 3 months without raising a finger to clean out the cook chamber or anything other than wire brushing the grates to get the crud off. The Smokefire has always responded properly.
I will use a drip pan for excessively fatty foods. I don't use a water pan.
I did do a mod by putting a small concrete vibrator on the back side of the pellet hopper that will shake down the pellets; 30 seconds shaking every 30 minutes.
I've never had a fire in my Smokefire. I've never had and "explosion" in my Smokefire.
I admit there is a slight learning curve with the Smokefire. It does not work like a gas grill, an electric smoker, a charcoal grill, or a gravity feed smoker/grill (I had a Masterbuilt 1050). And especially an offset stick burner (which I also have).
I have put out briskets that equaled the output of my stick burner, and other people couldn't tell the difference in taste or appearance.

I'm also a member of several Smokefire groups on FB. And there are plenty of people who are having the same results as I am having. I have searched through several of them using the word "explosion" and none are mentioned.
Not saying it's not possible. But, hard to believe.

So the new SF is working as well as the one you had originally?

For those that don't know, I won't go into the details as it is not my place but the replacement was not due to to issues with the SF itself.

For those that don't know, I won't go into the details as it is not my place but the replacement was not due to to issues with the SF itself.
Huh

Yep. Haven't missed a step

Latest Discussions

Back