My $.02

Silver

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been watching the forums and as many videos as I can, positive and negative.
I'm a weekend BBQer. Not professional by any means. I just enjoy it. So take my opinion as you see fit.

For the last 8 years I used a traeger, elite 34. Before the fancy controllers and such. I loved that grill. I still do. I still own it. It's at my vacation property in eastern Washington (much warmer there and way less rain).

The smokefire ex6 is what I bought as I was excited for the "promises" made by weber. It would work great for me in Seattles climate. Rain, wind, neverending mist.

Having owned a Traeger. I'd love to say it was perfect. By no means was it. It sucked for steaks. PERIOD. NBD. I just did roasts.

I replaced the hot rod in that thing at least 6 times. I had back burn. Replaced the auger 2 times. Replaced the motor twice. Firepot 3 times. I cleaned that thing every 2 to 3 cooks.

As the warranty expired I had the barrel replaced. The paint peeled. Grease fire once. Grease on my patio. Bucket leaked. There's much more but I think that's enough to get that point across.

I still love that traeger.

Now on to the Smokefire,

First light. Had to do it twice. Obviously the auger wasn't primed. Knew that from having a Traeger. Nbd.

After that. I almost burnt a tri tip. High heat cook. The way tri tip is supposed to be. I wasn't ready for flame kiss. Obviously I owned a Traeger too long. Chicken. A tiny bit dry. I'm used to timing on the traeger. But still damn good. Haven't had grill marks in a long time.

Just did baby backs and man they were amazing. I'm learning the curve on the Smokefire. Traeger smokes at 180. Minimum is currently 200 on the Smokefire. Gotta adjust for that.

I guess my point is. There isn't anything like the Smokefire in the market place. There's a curve to it. It's bbq. It's supposed to be somewhat of a challenge. If there wasn't. Everyone would be a "pitmaster".

Oh the issues. Yeah.... i went back and hit the timberline forums. They seemed to have just as many in the beginning. And they had tons of experience with pellet grills. I think they are mostly ironed out now. But it's 2 years later. nd from what I'm seeing. The grease management is still questionable.

Give it time. Grill, slow cook. Learn the beast. Tame the beast.

It's a damn well built machine. I'm enjoying it.
My $.02

Received my ex4 Saturday. First pellet grill. Hit 600 in less than 15 minutes. Cooked great reverse sear steaks. Did baby back ribs Sunday afternoon 6 hour cook that were perfect. As good as I used to do,on BGE. I don’t know if mild weather and wind protected grilling area helps but so far has exceeded my expectations especially after having read so many negative reviews.

Thanks for the Positive posts. I’m also really enjoying it and continue to find it overwhelmingly positive. Cheers!

Excellent post @Silver - Always a learning curve with any new product on the market. For me, that's half the fun! I thought I heard somewhere back on a video or post that the SmokeFire might support lower temps with a software update.

Excellent post @Silver - Always a learning curve with any new product on the market. For me, that's half the fun! I thought I heard somewhere back on a video or post that the SmokeFire might support lower temps with a software update.
That's what I heard too. Ready for that!

Back