Meathead

rwhapham

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
My fam got me a copy of the Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling for Father's Day. I'm actually really looking forward to tearing into it. Though the irony is not lost on me, though, that now that I've gone all in on the pellet thing that I've developed more of an interest in understanding the science of BBQ more than I've ever had in the past.

PXL_20210621_231254660.jpg

I love this book!

His rubs are amazing! I use the Big Bad Beef, the Memphis Dust, and the Simon and Garfunkel all the time! Great flavors.. and of course the knowledge in the book is great!

Also some of the other recipes like the cole slaw are crowd pleasers every time!

I'm especially loving all of the "Myth" sidebars in it. With something as sacred and almost religious as BBQ, you just know there are mistruths that have been perpetuated for generations that are causing more harm than good when it comes to a proper cook.

I'm especially loving all of the "Myth" sidebars in it. With something as sacred and almost religious as BBQ, you just know there are mistruths that have been perpetuated for generations that are causing more harm than good when it comes to a proper cook.

Yup! I am guilty of falling for some of those things early on but that book was enlightening!

When your done reading it send it my way…I like reading up on bbq!

Great book and he busts a lot of myths out there. Probably one of the best BBQ books I have along with the Weber\Jamie Purviance books.

It has been part of my reference library for quite a while.

The pastrami recipe alone is worth the cost of the book. It’s time-consuming, but well worth doing.

The pastrami recipe alone is worth the cost of the book. It’s time-consuming, but well worth doing.
Have two store bought corned beef flats I am preparing to do his rub and smoke them for pastrami. Just got the SmokeFire last week so looking forward to doing more with it than I had with the prior pellet cooker that I recently returned.

Have two store bought corned beef flats I am preparing to do his rub and smoke them for pastrami. Just got the SmokeFire last week so looking forward to doing more with it than I had with the prior pellet cooker that I recently returned.
I’ve done them with store-bought corned beef and it came out
…ok… If you have the time and fridge space, making it from scratch is much better.

Back