Meat position

prophoto25

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire ex6 g2 , Smokey mountain 18” and kettles
Ok, cooking on a ex6 gen 2
Left side seems to be about 30 degrees cooler than the middle.
When cooking a turkey, should I put it in the middle to get an accurate temp, on on the left side to allow more smoke penetration?

Any tips?

Ok, cooking on a ex6 gen 2
Left side seems to be about 30 degrees cooler than the middle.
When cooking a turkey, should I put it in the middle to get an accurate temp, on on the left side to allow more smoke penetration?

Any tips?
I always use the left side I know the temp difference and cook accordingly. Your temp probe either weber or instant is your closest friend

Just keep in mind the only really crucial temp is the internal temp of your protein. Enjoy!

Just keep in mind the only really crucial temp is the internal temp of your protein. Enjoy!
Absolutely !

Has anyone noticed coming over from a Traeger, that the smokefire tends to cook a bit quicker?

Absolutely !

Has anyone noticed coming over from a Traeger, that the smokefire tends to cook a bit quicker?
It’s a more direct robust radiant heat. That’s what makes the grilling feature so impressive. Crank a Traeger and Smokefire up to 500 and put your hand in the cooker 6” above the cooking grid. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

It’s a more direct robust radiant heat. That’s what makes the grilling feature so impressive. Crank a Traeger and Smokefire up to 500 and put your hand in the cooker 6” above the cooking grid. HUGE DIFFERENCE!
This I’ve noticed. I wonder if this has anything to do with the porcelain inside of the barrel?
The Traegers I’ve had have all been thinner gauge steel, unfinished as well.
While I’m a Weber and Traeger person, I think im favoring the smokefire ex6 more than my big Tex 34”.

This I’ve noticed. I wonder if this has anything to do with the porcelain inside of the barrel?
The Traegers I’ve had have all been thinner gauge steel, unfinished as well.
While I’m a Weber and Traeger person, I think im favoring the smokefire ex6 more than my big Tex 34”.
Nah, you can feel it even on the timberline series which is double walled on the sides and insulated on the lid. It’s the design. The very thing some complain about is the genius of the design which allows for this level of versatility. I’m a fanboy believer , so take it for what it’s worth. I’ve been around the pellet cooker block a time or two though.

Nah, you can feel it even on the timberline series which is double walled on the sides and insulated on the lid. It’s the design. The very thing some complain about is the genius of the design which allows for this level of versatility. I’m a fanboy believer , so take it for what it’s worth. I’ve been around the pellet cooker block a time or two though.
The timberline series is one I haven’t had a chance to cook on yet, but it does seem to have a very similar design to the smokefire. Or Weber has a similar design of the traeger timberline, whichever it may be.

All in all, both are probably within similar capabilities of each other

The timberline series is one I haven’t had a chance to cook on yet, but it does seem to have a very similar design to the smokefire. Or Weber has a similar design of the traeger timberline, whichever it may be.

All in all, both are probably within similar capabilities of each other
The pill shaped barrel is a definite similarity as is the rear exhaust which many good manufacturers are going to these days. The monumental difference is the lack of a solid grease tray/ heat deflector. That is the key to the Smokefire. That is the genius.

First Turkey almost done. Using Traeger brand signature pellets. Plan on getting more Lumberjack but this is what I had to work with lol

Attachments

• D5DA4D0E-E00E-487A-B024-1308372DD077.jpeg
    D5DA4D0E-E00E-487A-B024-1308372DD077.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 21
Yes, finish photo?

Here’s the finished product.
Crispy skin, nice smoke flavor
It was demolished by everyone.

Might use different pellets next time to see the actual taste differences between the Traeger pellets and lumberjack . I have very limited experience with traeger pellets as I’ve always used lumberjack

Attachments

• 6353EA18-6E11-4BF3-918E-04D88EEB0661.jpeg
    6353EA18-6E11-4BF3-918E-04D88EEB0661.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 14

Might use different pellets next time to see the actual taste differences between the Traeger pellets and lumberjack . I have very limited experience with traeger pellets as I’ve always used lumberjack
She’s a beaute!

Yum yum!! 🤤

Latest Discussions

Back