Makin' The Bacon

willwillsmoke

Reaction score
Just curious about making bacon at home. I've not tried it before. From what I've read, you need to do the smoking portion between 160-180 degrees. I'm wondering if doing the smoking process on smoke boost would work. Has anybody made their own bacon and if so, what are your thoughts on doing so on the smokefire?

-Will

Dassman5

Reaction score
Just curious about making bacon at home. I've not tried it before. From what I've read, you need to do the smoking portion between 160-180 degrees. I'm wondering if doing the smoking process on smoke boost would work. Has anybody made their own bacon and if so, what are your thoughts on doing so on the smokefire?

-Will
The Weber “Smoke” book has a good starter recipe. After brining, drying and crusting, I usually do mine at about 200F until the pork belly reaches 150F. You could also do it on Smoke Boost, just takes a little longer.

I just finished doing two x 8 lb. bellies and after smoking (I like Hickory, although Apple also work well) and after cooling cut the bellies ( now uncooked bacon) into roughly 1 lb. chunks, vacuum-sealed and froze until ready to fry. They are good frozen for at least 6-8 months.

Bruno

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
The Weber “Smoke” book has a good starter recipe. After brining, drying and crusting, I usually do mine at about 200F until the pork belly reaches 150F. You could also do it on Smoke Boost, just takes a little longer.

I just finished doing two x 8 lb. bellies and after smoking (I like Hickory, although Apple also work well) and after cooling cut the bellies ( now uncooked bacon) into roughly 1 lb. chunks, vacuum-sealed and froze until ready to fry. They are good frozen for at least 6-8 months.
Sounds delicious!!

OP
W

willwillsmoke

Reaction score

sounds awesome! I’ll try it out. I’ve got the Weber big book of grilling I’ll have to check out the smoke book. Thanks for the tips.

Latest Discussions