Made it 2 weeks

TahoeMike

Reaction score
Assembled my EX4 less than 2 weeks ago. Five cooks without any problems at all. Go out today to fire it up and NOTHING...dead in the water. Checked the cord, the outlet and the cord connection to the grill. All were fine. I'm thinking its a fuse so I call customer service and I'm told that if it was a fuse that I would get an error code. Really? That doesn't seem right to me but whatever. I'm told that its probably the motherboard and that they are out of stock on them. Great. My ticket is being escalated to the tech department and I'll hear back in 48-72 hours. God, I hope they're not gonna ask me to replace the motherboard myself.
Anyway, I just had to vent for a minute. Do I think that Weber will make it right. Yes I do. They have great customer service. Just a little bummed right now. I'll post when I have something else to share on this.

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
Assembled my EX4 less than 2 weeks ago. Five cooks without any problems at all. Go out today to fire it up and NOTHING...dead in the water. Checked the cord, the outlet and the cord connection to the grill. All were fine. I'm thinking its a fuse so I call customer service and I'm told that if it was a fuse that I would get an error code. Really? That doesn't seem right to me but whatever. I'm told that its probably the motherboard and that they are out of stock on them. Great. My ticket is being escalated to the tech department and I'll hear back in 48-72 hours. God, I hope they're not gonna ask me to replace the motherboard myself.
Anyway, I just had to vent for a minute. Do I think that Weber will make it right. Yes I do. They have great customer service. Just a little bummed right now. I'll post when I have something else to share on this.
Probably not any solace, but I have an friend who went through a couple months of electronic issues with his new Traeger Timberline. They finally sent him a new unit all together, but he was quite patient through the process. It sucks, but it happens to all of the manufacturers.

Dassman5

Reaction score
Even though Weber said they did not think it’s was a fuse, did you check the 1.6 amp, 250 Volt fuse next to the plug? If you have a multimeter, it is a simple test of it with the continuity setting once you pop it out of its holder.

There is also a fuse on the motherboard, but accessing it is not so straight forward.

OP
T

TahoeMike

Reaction score
Even though Weber said they did not think it’s was a fuse, did you check the 1.6 amp, 250 Volt fuse next to the plug? If you have a multimeter, it is a simple test of it with the continuity setting once you pop it out of its holder.

There is also a fuse on the motherboard, but accessing it is not so straight forward.
I don't have a multimeter but I think my son does. I'll try to get him over here in the next day or two. Thanks.

Dassman5

Reaction score
I don't have a multimeter but I think my son does. I'll try to get him over here in the next day or two. Thanks.
Or, if you have a large auto parts store nearby, you can get one (I have a pack that I got on Amazon just in case) but remember the amperage (1.6), the voltage (250) and that is a ceramic fast-blow fuse type. Designation is: F1.6A250V. They are not expensive.

OP
T

TahoeMike

Reaction score
Or, if you have a large auto parts store nearby, you can get one (I have a pack that I got on Amazon just in case) but remember the amperage (1.6), the voltage (250) and that is a ceramic fast-blow fuse type. Designation is: F1.6A250V. They are not expensive.
Just ordered a 5 pack from Amazon. Thanks.

JimG

Reaction score
I have replaced the motherboard and screen. Not a difficult task. I’m assuming that your screen is not lit. Fuse, switch or outlet.

OP
T

TahoeMike

Reaction score
Thats correct. Screen is not lit. I think the best course of action now is to wait on Weber. Thanks for the encouragement with the motherboard. I'm still hoping its just a fuse.

Wismokes

Reaction score
Mine has worked amazing in the month I’ve had it . Did a few butts and a brisket yesterday and ran it for like 18 hours straight . That said the electronics of a grill is what always kept me from buying a pellet grill before and still makes me worry when i have it running . I always know when i light my big green egg what’s gonna happen . I hope i get that way with my smokefire . It’s been great and makes awesome food but it’ll take a bit before i trust it

OP
T

TahoeMike

Reaction score
Agreed. Pellet grills can be really convenient :).......until they're not :(

OP
T

TahoeMike

Reaction score
It was the fuse. I have a feeling I blew the fuse when I unplugged the smoker from the electrical outlet forgetting to turn it off with the switch first. Now just have to wait on the 5 pack of fuses to come from Amazon.

Dassman5

Reaction score
It was the fuse. I have a feeling I blew the fuse when I unplugged the smoker from the electrical outlet forgetting to turn it off with the switch first. Now just have to wait on the 5 pack of fuses to come from Amazon.
That will do it...one of the reasons to have spares!

Dassman5

Reaction score
Look on Amazon...they are F1.6A 250V ceramic fast blow fuses...that is 1.6Amp, 250 Volt fast blow ceramic fuses. Also available at most auto supply and electronic stores.

Dassman5

Reaction score
By the way, if you are blowing fuses, make sure that you are both plugged into a GFI outlet and have at least a 12/3 extension cord if you are using one. I have had over 60 uses on my unit and have yet to have a problem with the fuse.

Tbone707

Reaction score
I actually just purchased a 3 month old Weber EX4 for $200 that the guy said wasn't working. I tested the fuse and it is bad and I put a 2.0A 250V and the grill fired up as normal. I just didn't want to keep the 2.0A fuse in for too long so I was looking for OEM match fuse to re-install. Thanks for the tips on the extension and GFI plug.

Dassman5

Reaction score
I actually just purchased a 3 month old Weber EX4 for $200 that the guy said wasn't working. I tested the fuse and it is bad and I put a 2.0A 250V and the grill fired up as normal. I just didn't want to keep the 2.0A fuse in for too long so I was looking for OEM match fuse to re-install. Thanks for the tips on the extension and GFI plug.
Sure wish I had found the guy first...

Latest Discussions