Loss of fire

Billy

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6
Ok, doing a butt today and I’ve had my third flame out. This started last week a couple of times and then today three. Third time it happened, it only got up to 125 before it went out. Any ideas? I called Weber and they said I needed a new chute and ramp. I decided to use a bag of Charhickory from lumber jack, could that be the issue? I just cleaned the whole thing out and put in some Weber pellets, to see if that was the issue.

Get the chute and motor like recommended.

Change the chute and make sure that your app, OS, and firmware are updated.

when this happen to one of my SF's these are the steps that help me get it running again

Make sure you have the current software, you'll need to empty the hopper, pull the auger out and vacuum, clean the fire pot and reload the pellets and fire it up, should work like a charm

Don’t forget to remove the wire guard at the bottom of the hopper. Can clog and flame out. Had one last week and when I looked to see if I ran out of pellets, lo and behold full! Went to move the stack and wham! They fell into the auger.

Don’t forget to remove the wire guard at the bottom of the hopper. Can clog and flame out. Had one last week and when I looked to see if I ran out of pellets, lo and behold full! Went to move the stack and wham! They fell into the auger.
Good call! This is a must IMO.

I am still using my wire guard and I have heard the wire guard can cause problems. How in the world is the wire guard preventing the pellets from falling down into the auger? Thanks!

I am still using my wire guard and I have heard the wire guard can cause problems. How in the world is the wire guard preventing the pellets from falling down into the auger? Thanks!
Actually quite easily. If you look at them, pellets come in different lengths, and if you ever played “pick up sticks” as a kid you can see how they can intertwine and bridge the auger feed hole, especially with the finger guard installed. Problems are reportedly worse with some Lon-Weber pellets which can be larger in diameter.

Last edited:
great explanation Dassman. I agree with the others, remove the guard while you're waiting for the updated chute.
The existing two piece chute may be leaking which can cause problems...but I've learned it's also important that you're reasonable in keeping it relatively clean...the only times I"ve had problems has been when I've pushed regular maintenance back too many times :)

Actually quite easily. If you look at them pellets come in different lengths, and if you ever played “pick up sticks” as a kid you can see how they can intertwine and bridge the auger feed hole, especially with the finger guard installed. Problems are reportedly worse with some Lon-Weber pellets which can be larger in diameter.
Every year people die climbing into a corn bin to “unbridge” corn within the bin. Hard to imagine how little it takes for these bridges to form. They do form and those three tiny wires increase the issue exponentially. Trust me.

Actually quite easily. If you look at them, pellets come in different lengths, and if you ever played “pick up sticks” as a kid you can see how they can intertwine and bridge the auger feed hole, especially with the finger guard installed. Problems are reportedly worse with some Lon-Weber pellets which can be larger in diameter.
this are all Weber pellets from the “mix” they sell. I’ve cooked twice with them and each time I lost the flame. Once was the first cook after replacing the chute, auger and motor assy. I have since removed the finger guard and toss these pellets.
8447D20A-56A9-4513-82ED-AD24D7DEC562.jpeg
8447D20A-56A9-4513-82ED-AD24D7DEC562.jpeg

The auger moves soooo slow you’d have to almost intentionally hurt yourself and even then, it’d take some real effort.

this are all Weber pellets from the “mix” they sell. I’ve cooked twice with them and each time I lost the flame. Once was the first cook after replacing the chute, auger and motor assy. I have since removed the finger guard and toss these pellets.
View attachment 1938View attachment 1938
Yep, that is typical.

View attachment 1938View attachment 1938
FWIW, I went a good 12 hrs using the grill master blend pellets yesterday without issue. Not saying you can’t have an issue, but it’s far more likely at grilling temps with the faster pellet consumption. No matter what pellet grill I’m using and I own several brands, I always pay much closer attention when cooking at higher temps. I am just a fan of the blended pellet flavors and will often blend them myself. Same with wood on my charcoal cookers. Each wood brings something different to the dance.
i know, I know, I’ve now jinxed myself. 😂

Back