Loose probe ports

ingiro22

Reaction score
Has anyone else had trouble with their probe ports being loose? I’m using Weber probes and they are pushed in all the way, but if you move the probe or line at all it disconnects from the controller or display. The probe port light also goes out. You can jiggle it around or un plug and re plug and then they work. Just seems like that should not be happening.

I’m actually liking my grill, just sharing to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Has anyone else had trouble with their probe ports being loose? I’m using Weber probes and they are pushed in all the way, but if you move the probe or line at all it disconnects from the controller or display. The probe port light also goes out. You can jiggle it around or un plug and re plug and then they work. Just seems like that should not be happening.

I’m actually liking my grill, just sharing to see if anyone else has had this issue.
I've only used the probes a couple times, but I didn't have this problem. One of the red trim pieces around the port came off, but it snapped right back in.

I have not experienced this issue either. I've used two of the four ports only so far though.

Yep. After several cooks I noticed probe number 2 is super loose and the probe kept coming out. It might be the probe. I wiggled it back in a few times last night while cooking 3 pork tenderloins. I will inspect it a little better next time I cook.

I haven’t had any trouble with the Weber probe, but I have had trouble with my ThermoWorks probe being very lose and popping out frequently.

I haven’t had any trouble with the Weber probe, but I have had trouble with my ThermoWorks probe being very lose and popping out frequently.
I purchased 3 more Igrill probes from lowes when I picked up some pellets. they are all 4 weber.
PSA for anyone buying the Weber's.....
1. taking off the colored silicone sleeves to change each one to a different color Is a total PITA...I used cooking spray to lube up the shaft of the probe and the inside of the silicone inserts but they are still a little difficult to pull off and swap..AND.....
2. It doesnt matter and is a waste of time. My long cooks have stripped all the color off. They are are the same brownish ashy color and it does not wash off!

I purchased 3 more Igrill probes from lowes when I picked up some pellets. they are all 4 weber.
PSA for anyone buying the Weber's.....
1. taking off the colored silicone sleeves to change each one to a different color Is a total PITA...I used cooking spray to lube up the shaft of the probe and the inside of the silicone inserts but they are still a little difficult to pull off and swap..AND.....
2. It doesnt matter and is a waste of time. My long cooks have stripped all the color off. They are are the same brownish ashy color and it does not wash off!
Good to know, as I was thinking of getting some more of the Weber probes. The ThermoWorks probes you can by separate color rings as an add on. They look easy to install, but admittedly I haven’t tried them to confirm.

The ThermoWorks probes you can by separate color rings as an add on. They look easy to install, but admittedly I haven’t tried them to confirm.
I have the TW 4 probe Signals which has these colored rings. Unfortunately they also get cooked and the color fades away. Signals is a great product. Not so much the colored rings.

Soon you can purchase probes from this company, https://www.blazeprobes.com/ I know because I work for this company. They are testing a heavy duty version of the cheap probes weber offers. They have a thicker more durable cord and a much better quality plug. Probably will have it up late March. Unlike weber this thing is going through some hard testing. The probes will cost about the same.

I haven’t had any trouble with my Weber or iGrill probes coming loose. I have experienced the colored tubes fading and also turning brown from the smoke. I can wipe it off somewhat with a little dishsoap and water but comes back each cook so I usually don’t spend much time on it and just make sure probes are clean.

Update: So I tried again the other night and they worked fine. What I noticed was that there was an initial click putting them in and then if I pressed harder it clicked in further and more secure. I’m going to keep an eye on them, but this one may have been user error on my part.

Mine did this too.

edit - to clarify I was referring to having a second click to make sure were seated.

Last edited:
Update: So I tried again the other night and they worked fine. What I noticed was that there was an initial click putting them in and then if I pressed harder it clicked in further and more secure. I’m going to keep an eye on them, but this one may have been user error on my part.
Gotcha. Mine did this two but short of me pushing port 2 all the way through the inside of the controller I was able to reproduce the issue with 3 out of 4 of my probes. I do not have a caliper anymore as I do not do reloading anymore but I suspect the probe tolerances are are different on each one a little and their is definitely some play with port 2 even with the one that stays in firmly.
It's not a huge deal though. It takes a bit of wiggling with all 3 of the "smaller" ones to lose connection. A lot less than yanking on a pair of headphones and lot more than just touching or taping on the wires or port.

I have this problem on port one of my EX6 using the Weber probes it’s actually very loose. Port number two is also a little loose as well but useable as long as I don’t jiggle the wire too much. The other two ports work fine. Not sure what is causing this and I haven’t needed more than two probes for a cook yet. Haven’t tried to contact Weber yet about this.

Latest Discussions

Back