Life time glow plug

stef_s

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hi NG

Do you have some experience of the life time of the glow plug?
I had to change mine after 5 month.

I read in another group that putting a small hose clamp on the connector helps with the ground. Apparently it can come loose and cause issues.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    387.4 KB · Views: 211
I’m still on my original. Absent something shorting it out, I would think it should last for years. The install is tricky at best and I can see how so many have had issues. Hope I didn’t just jinx myself. 😳

I’m still on my original. Absent something shorting it out, I would think it should last for years. The install is tricky at best and I can see how so many have had issues. Hope I didn’t just jinx myself. 😳
Ditto...

I’m still on my first one too. I‘ve been meaning to add a hose clamp but the ones I have from my brewing supplies were all too big.

I think this post solved a problem I started having yesterday when I tried to use my SF. Could not get the SF to light up, put a clamp on the glow plug today and it seems to be running like normal again.

I could see the glow plug start to light up and then it would die. The outside temp is getting cold in WI. Wondering if it was losing contact as the glow plug started warming up.

Thanks to all of you for the great info this forum has provided.

I’m building my 2gen EX6 in a couple days, so this mod seems easy to do from the get go. What size do I need, like a 1/2” hose clamp, bigger / smaller?

Yes, I used a clamp that was 6-12mm. The glow plug is 1/2” where the contact overlaps.

To properly set the glow plug, a really big hard shove is necessary to ensure correct contact. Weber tried to make it simple but the electrons have a different thought.

I was talking talking to Weber CS this morning about an ETA for my EX4 order here in Australia (later this week!!!!) and they advised that the glow plugs on the units released here will have a lifetime warranty.

Back