Lid to hopper

bbqking

4x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 3, 22” kettles, 18” kettle and a e310 gasser
So I went out to put some Mac n cheese in the SF. The lid to my hopper looks bent. It doesn’t close flush. It has always closed flush before? Very weird. Could the heat coming from the barrel cause this? Not happy about it. Took a couple pics but don’t know if you can see it. It’s the farthest end of the lid away from controller.

Attachments

• B6DFAF97-9906-47E0-A773-09F4FDAB4E0E.jpeg
    B6DFAF97-9906-47E0-A773-09F4FDAB4E0E.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 1D30DC42-EA01-48C4-ABB4-9480064E73C1.jpeg
    1D30DC42-EA01-48C4-ABB4-9480064E73C1.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 63
So I went out to put some Mac n cheese in the SF. The lid to my hopper looks bent. It doesn’t close flush. It has always closed flush before? Very weird. Could the heat coming from the barrel cause this? Not happy about it. Took a couple pics but don’t know if you can see it. It’s the farthest end of the lid away from controller.
Wind?

Unlikely IMO, but turn in a warranty claim. I have noticed that pellets can get wedged between the lid and hopper and possibly cause damage if forced shut.

Also the lid has en edge to it that should keep it from deforming.

Well I cooked all day yesterday, pork shoulder, it wasn’t bent when I started. The only thing I can think is the wife added pellets while I was at church, but I can’t see how anything she did could have bent it....sigh.

Well I cooked all day yesterday, pork shoulder, it wasn’t bent when I started. The only thing I can think is the wife added pellets while I was at church, but I can’t see how anything she did could have bent it....sigh.
The reason I asked about wind is that could have bent it backwards, causing the deformation.

I had this when I changed the auger thought I made the screws to tight.. it went away by itself😂

Ya, but there wasn’t any wind yesterday.

What about the wife lifting the pellets and pushing on the hopper lid?

I had this when I changed the auger thought I made the screws to tight.. it went away by itself😂
Yeah could be an adjustment issue. It’s just hard to imagine the porcelain coated lid with bent edges could deform from the exhaust. Heck, the kettle lids would be bent up all the time as charcoal burns at 1300F.

Hard to tell what’s going on there. If your can’t live with it contact Weber they have ALWAYS come through for me.

I had the same thing after the auger switch out. It fixed itself over a few cooks
During my welded auger replacement, I had a similar problem when replacing the lid. It turns out that there are small washers that go behind as well as in front of the hinge bolts before securing the nuts. The ones that went behind accidentally dropped off on to the towel, and once replaced the cover worked as intended.

I have the same problem, and it hasn’t spontaneously fixed itself yet. My theory is that when the hopper is full, the weight of the pellets pushes the side of the hopper towards the grill, causing the lid not to close properly. I can push on the side, and get it to close, but it isn’t supposed to work that way.

Back