Knife recommendations

abmet

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I need a new chef knife, as the one I’m using is a Henkels that got as a wedding gift. It was abused with pull through sharpener for years. I recently started getting into Benchmade knives and added an Edge Pro Apex sharper to my list of hobbies. I have the edge in good shape but it’s time for replacement. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have tons of knives. German, Japanese, American. I find I use the cheap ones way more than the expensive ones. If your looking for high end check out Japanese brands. I have a handful or so Shun. Everyday stuff, give me a dexter russel, victronox, or my 30+ year old Chicago cutlery. 😂

I have one of those 30 plus year old Chicago Cutlery knives that is my go to favorite when I need to get something done.

I have one of those 30 plus year old Chicago Cutlery knives that is my go to favorite when I need to get something done.
Yeah I bought a block back when I was a kid. Somehow I lost one of the boning knives, but they have served me well. Use the chefs and all the rest frequently.

I was looking at the Shun classic 8 inch as an option.
My go to knife for chopping and cutting is the Shun classic 8”, I also have a semi-flexible victoronix that use for boning and trimming briskets as well as a Henkel brisket knife. All hold their edges just fine, and none were super expensive,

You should definitely put some in your hand. I have Shun and Kia, Henkles,Wustof, Misen, Hammer Stahl, Mercer, Victonox, Chicago Cutlery, MAC, and prolly a couple others. Also look into santoku style. My wife’s favorites aren’t necessarily mine. Everybody has different hands and styles. Make sure you like the feel in your hand. Not only the weight and balance, but size of handle and length and type of blade too. Not the best time to visit stores but I would visit something like a Williams and Sonoma or a cutlery store if it’s available. Good luck.

I’m also looking for a chefs knife. I got a Dalstrong sho gun 8” for Christmas and returned it. I have my eye on a yoshihiro but I just picked up a victorinox fibrox 8” chef knife , we have several vic’s I like them because I dont worry about them and they sure are good value.

My opinion is that "Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Rosewood Chef's Knife", 8 or 10 inch is a great value and it is my go to knife. You can get the composite handle for less, but I like the feel of the wood. I use the 6 inch curved boning knife in their line for all of my prep, and to me it is a fantastic value.

my 2 cents

What about a decent sharpener? I have a 15yr old Chicago Cutlery set that does the job, but definitely could be better. I bought a cheap pull through 2 stage sharpener and it helps, but would like better without replacing the knife set.

What about a decent sharpener? I have a 15yr old Chicago Cutlery set that does the job, but definitely could be better. I bought a cheap pull through 2 stage sharpener and it helps, but would like better without replacing the knife set.
I got an Edge Pro Apex a few months ago, I love it. Little bit of learning curve but not bad. I’ve started adding more stones and guides.

Ended up ordering a Shun classic 8 in and the 6 inch utility knife. Went with the new blonde handles.

You should definitely put some in your hand. I have Shun and Kia, Henkles,Wustof, Misen, Hammer Stahl, Mercer, Victonox, Chicago Cutlery, MAC, and prolly a couple others. Also look into santoku style. My wife’s favorites aren’t necessarily mine. Everybody has different hands and styles. Make sure you like the feel in your hand. Not only the weight and balance, but size of handle and length and type of blade too. Not the best time to visit stores but I would visit something like a Williams and Sonoma or a cutlery store if it’s available. Good luck.
I did think about the Shun santoku. Might add it and pairing knife after trying out the chef and utility knives.

Latest Discussions

Back