Knife recommendations

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I need a new chef knife, as the one I’m using is a Henkels that got as a wedding gift. It was abused with pull through sharpener for years. I recently started getting into Benchmade knives and added an Edge Pro Apex sharper to my list of hobbies. I have the edge in good shape but it’s time for replacement. Anyone have any recommendations?

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
I have tons of knives. German, Japanese, American. I find I use the cheap ones way more than the expensive ones. If your looking for high end check out Japanese brands. I have a handful or so Shun. Everyday stuff, give me a dexter russel, victronox, or my 30+ year old Chicago cutlery. 😂

Dassman5

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX4; Summit 670; Bullet Smoker 22”; Q100
I was looking at the Shun classic 8 inch as an option.
My go to knife for chopping and cutting is the Shun classic 8”, I also have a semi-flexible victoronix that use for boning and trimming briskets as well as a Henkel brisket knife. All hold their edges just fine, and none were super expensive,

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
You should definitely put some in your hand. I have Shun and Kia, Henkles,Wustof, Misen, Hammer Stahl, Mercer, Victonox, Chicago Cutlery, MAC, and prolly a couple others. Also look into santoku style. My wife’s favorites aren’t necessarily mine. Everybody has different hands and styles. Make sure you like the feel in your hand. Not only the weight and balance, but size of handle and length and type of blade too. Not the best time to visit stores but I would visit something like a Williams and Sonoma or a cutlery store if it’s available. Good luck.

Bruno

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I’m also looking for a chefs knife. I got a Dalstrong sho gun 8” for Christmas and returned it. I have my eye on a yoshihiro but I just picked up a victorinox fibrox 8” chef knife , we have several vic’s I like them because I dont worry about them and they sure are good value.

7mmMKsuper

Reaction score
My opinion is that "Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Rosewood Chef's Knife", 8 or 10 inch is a great value and it is my go to knife. You can get the composite handle for less, but I like the feel of the wood. I use the 6 inch curved boning knife in their line for all of my prep, and to me it is a fantastic value.

my 2 cents

SillyRabbit

Reaction score
What about a decent sharpener? I have a 15yr old Chicago Cutlery set that does the job, but definitely could be better. I bought a cheap pull through 2 stage sharpener and it helps, but would like better without replacing the knife set.

OP
abmet

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
What about a decent sharpener? I have a 15yr old Chicago Cutlery set that does the job, but definitely could be better. I bought a cheap pull through 2 stage sharpener and it helps, but would like better without replacing the knife set.
I got an Edge Pro Apex a few months ago, I love it. Little bit of learning curve but not bad. I’ve started adding more stones and guides.

OP
abmet

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ended up ordering a Shun classic 8 in and the 6 inch utility knife. Went with the new blonde handles.

OP
abmet

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
You should definitely put some in your hand. I have Shun and Kia, Henkles,Wustof, Misen, Hammer Stahl, Mercer, Victonox, Chicago Cutlery, MAC, and prolly a couple others. Also look into santoku style. My wife’s favorites aren’t necessarily mine. Everybody has different hands and styles. Make sure you like the feel in your hand. Not only the weight and balance, but size of handle and length and type of blade too. Not the best time to visit stores but I would visit something like a Williams and Sonoma or a cutlery store if it’s available. Good luck.
I did think about the Shun santoku. Might add it and pairing knife after trying out the chef and utility knives.

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
I have a work sharp culinary sharpener and steel. Also have a chefs choice one and a few of those kind you draw the knife over a couple ceramic discs.

smokin'legges

Reaction score
I need a new chef knife, as the one I’m using is a Henkels that got as a wedding gift. It was abused with pull through sharpener for years. I recently started getting into Benchmade knives and added an Edge Pro Apex sharper to my list of hobbies. I have the edge in good shape but it’s time for replacement. Anyone have any recommendations?
Dick Knife Red Spirit and get it monogrammed

7un47im3s

Reaction score
Grill
EX4, WSM, E330, 22" Kettle
I replaced my Henkels block set which replaced a Chicago Cutlery block set with a 16 piece block set of german steel Cangshan, including the obligatory knife steel and poultry shears. I find myself using the 8" chefs knife most often followed by the 4" paring knife, boning knife and bread knife. The chefs knife holds a good edge and is easily brought back "as new" with a few light passes over the steel. The set has a few santoku style blades as well which I don't get but the wife makes it her knife of choice......................

MojoBones

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6 (Slow-n-Low) / WPPO Lil Luigi (Pizza) / Summit S-670 (Everything Else)
For the past 8 years I have been using a rather cheaper knife that is very utilitarian/ugly looking but it has a decent shape and good edge geometry. Most importantly to me it has a really comfortable non-slip handle that fits my ham-hands nicely: Victorinox Fibrox Pro Knife, 8-Inch Chef's FFP. Amazon has them around $44.00 currently but it was about half that price when I bought mine.
That being said, if I were to drop a few of my current hobbies, I would certainly buy a nice custom San Mai steel chef's knife or cleaver with a Damascus cladding in a heart beat!

Latest Discussions