Keep Hopper Ramp?

A serviceman from weber told me, that the finger guard also is to prevent that the pellets will stock...
So I'm not sure if I should remove it
Mine is long gone and never had a problem with sticking pellets, bridging or otherwise plugging the feed to the auger.

I have it on and I still get the cave in above the auger.
I just did a 2 hour cook and received a warning that I was low on pellets. I think it was the caving issue bc there was a ton in there, it was just the one side above the auger that was low. No problem bc I just pushed them around but I’m wondering about an overnight pork butt cook. I would prefer to not have to babysit it. What should I expect? Ramp and finger guard are removed.

I just did a 2 hour cook and received a warning that I was low on pellets. I think it was the caving issue bc there was a ton in there, it was just the one side above the auger that was low. No problem bc I just pushed them around but I’m wondering about an overnight pork butt cook. I would prefer to not have to babysit it. What should I expect? Ramp and finger guard are removed.
I have left my ex4 unattended smoking overnight at 210-215F for up to 8 hours on several occasions with only one early morning check around 3 am. The only time I had an issue was the single time I forgot to fill the hopper before retiring for the evening and received a low pellet warning🤪😜👎...my bad. My ex 4 uses about 1# to 1.5# per hour at this low temperature.

Having said that, all bets are off if the pellets are damp, which is why mine are always stored in my garage in tightly sealed charcoal hoppers.

What should I expect? Ramp and finger guard are removed.
I am going back to beat an old dead horse. All pellets will bridge (at times). However, larger diameter pellets do not flow as well as the smaller pellets (Weber, Cabelas, Lumber Jack). Yes, I have used all of the larger ones also. But since Lowe's half price sale, I have had much better runs using the smaller pellets. Check your pellet size and see if it makes a difference.

Well I share my experience. I have my EX6 since April 2020 (Europe). Mine was delivered with the hopper installed and the finger guard. I used only weber pellets.

regarding the hopper a full bag weber pellets fits and it is enough to come through a long run. e.g. starting 23:00 and the day after in the morning (09:00 isch) more then enough pellets left. no issues with the finger guard.

Still running, fully original, so no new auger or .......

Just try and enjoy it :)

Last edited:
I am going back to beat an old dead horse. All pellets will bridge (at times). However, larger diameter pellets do not flow as well as the smaller pellets (Weber, Cabelas, Lumber Jack). Yes, I have used all of the larger ones also. But since Lowe's half price sale, I have had much better runs using the smaller pellets. Check your pellet size and see if it makes a difference.
I use Weber exclusively. I used a couple other brands early on and had mixed results. It may have been coincidence that the software issues were getting fixed and I changed out my auger, but I went that route to eliminate a variable and have never looked back. I like. the Weber pellets and have no complaints

I like the Weber pellets and have no complaints.
Except the price. In Texas, we can get B&B hedge oak pellets at Academy for $16 for 40 pounds.

Except the price. In Texas, we can get B&B hedge oak pellets at Academy for $16 for 40 pounds.
Understood. The Weber price is in line with most premium brands. Right or wrong, I avoid the bargain brands. That’s just me though.

When I took my wire guard off, I hadn't yet come across the "don't remove all screws at once" tip. I can't recall if I took them all off, or just two before replacing. But I certainly didn't do them one by one. Is there something I can visually inspect to make sure they're still holding together what they're supposed to ? Thanks.
In case you are still wondering about removing all three screws, here's a great video that shows exactly what those three screws are connected to. Go to the 5:50 mark.
Hope that helps!

Hey new member here just purchased my SmokeFire EX6 Gen 2 and have it all put together and about to do my burn in. I've been reading this forum and the FAQ on the facebook group which has been super helpful. Thank you.

What's the consensus on the hopper ramp? Take it off or keep it on? If it works fine without it then I'd rather have the extra space.

Also is the finger guard a must remove?

In case anyone is interested I ended up getting 5" wheels and love 'em. I also got the side table and can't say the same. Seems really flimsy and might actually cheapen the look and feel of this grill. At least comparing it to what I'm coming from which is a 15 year old Weber Genesis gasser. That had a corian/plastic side table and they are much sturdier.
I recently took my ramp out and I’m still undecided on if I’ll keep it out. Seems to be working fine. Also took the finger guard out and that’s definitely staying out. However I do still get bridging without it.

I recently took my ramp out and I’m still undecided on if I’ll keep it out. Seems to be working fine. Also took the finger guard out and that’s definitely staying out. However I do still get bridging without it.
Pellets bridge. Period. Usually it’s not an issue for low and slow cooks because the usage rate is so low. Not saying it can never happen , but not as likely at grilling temps. The good thing is that you usually aren’t away too long when grilling. The ironic thing is that the SF kinda get a bad rep for the bridging, but I feel it has a lot to do with how well it grills. People do way more high heat stuff on their SF as compared with some other pellet cookers. The results are phenomenal. Just my theory anyway.

When removing the finger guard it isn't a bad idea to put a couple of pieces of painters tape over that gaping hole. Otherwise one of those screws will hop down in there. Also, if one of those screws DOES hop down in there, when you remove the auger assembly to retrieve said screw, just leave it out. Otherwise you get to remove it twice when the SECOND screw falls. Don't ask me how I know....

When removing the finger guard it isn't a bad idea to put a couple of pieces of painters tape over that gaping hole. Otherwise one of those screws will hop down in there. Also, if one of those screws DOES hop down in there, when you remove the auger assembly to retrieve said screw, just leave it out. Otherwise you get to remove it twice when the SECOND screw falls. Don't ask me how I know....
🤣 always a good idea. Another common procedure is to stuff a rag in the space. Glad you finally got er done. Albeit with a little extra frustration.

🤣 always a good idea. Another common procedure is to stuff a rag in the space. Glad you finally got er done. Albeit with a little extra frustration.
A rag would've been a fine idea. The good part is I am now very familiar with how to remove the auger should I ever need to.

Latest Discussions

Back