Just ordered one!

TahoeMike

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4, Spirit 3 burner
Hi everyone

I just ordered an EX4 from Amazon. I'm not doing any traveling right now so I used some of my airline miles and got it for no out of pocket $...WooHoo! I'm waiting on delivery right now and trying to figure out where I'm going to locate it. My question is how long is the power cord? I'm just wondering if I'm going to need an extension cord or not.

After reading this forum and a number of reviews I am a little nervous about going ahead with the SmokeFire, but I'm a die hard Weber fan. They have always backed up their products. It looks like they are with the SmokeFire grills also, although it has taken a while longer than I would have expected. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for listening and all the good advice (I've been lurking for awhile).

Regards, Mike

A little background on me-

I have a Weber Spirit 3 burner, a Weber Performer, a Smokin-It 1000 and now the EX4. I started this hobby with a self made Ugly Drum Smoker and one of the original BBQ Guru PID controllers. It put out some great BBQ but it was a real pain to clean. Really looking forward to this new adventure!

Hi everyone

I just ordered an EX4 from Amazon. I'm not doing any traveling right now so I used some of my airline miles and got it for no out of pocket $...WooHoo! I'm waiting on delivery right now and trying to figure out where I'm going to locate it. My question is how long is the power cord? I'm just wondering if I'm going to need an extension cord or not.

After reading this forum and a number of reviews I am a little nervous about going ahead with the SmokeFire, but I'm a die hard Weber fan. They have always backed up their products. It looks like they are with the SmokeFire grills also, although it has taken a while longer than I would have expected. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for listening and all the good advice (I've been lurking for awhile).

Regards, Mike
The power cord is relatively short, maybe 6 foot max, and often not long enough to get it to where you want. But any extension cord that is rated heavy duty ( think 12/2 with ground, or 14/2 with ground) is fine.

Weber is a first-rate, quality, company and you made the right decision. Just follow the assembly instructions( all visual) and you can’t go wrong.

Thanks for the quick reply. Definitely an extension cord is in order.

Just got ex6 a little over a week ago . You are going to be very happy, mine has worked flawlessly so far and food has been amazing . Like the other person said get a extension cord . Happy grilling and smoking , your in for a fun ride

Welcome, I think you’ll be happy I love my EX4.
Do all the software and firmware updates before you use it, make sure it has the one piece welded chute (it is black instead of silver), and I also recommend removing the wire forger guard in the hopper to help prevent pellets from hanging up. If you remove the finger guard don’t always out all 3 screws at the same time as it holds the pellet chute as well.

I use this extension cord and have no issues. I’d recommend 12 gauge and try to get as short as possible for where you need it.

Thanks for the info and the encouragement. I'm really excited to get going with it. I ordered a 25ft 12 gauge cord because of the location of the grill. Hopefully it will work out.

25’ is supposedly pushing it but I think that’s what I use and I’ve had no issues.
Was just in Tahoe for a week, you are a lucky man!!

I hope so. I really don't want to run conduit and so forth. We're actually 15 minutes east of Tahoe in Gardnerville. We love it here. Thanks!

25’ is supposedly pushing it but I think that’s what I use and I’ve had no issues.
Was just in Tahoe for a week, you are a lucky man!!
FWIW, The extension cord I've run my WSF on since day one has been 50'. I don't think it matters one bit...as long as you're not trying to several hundred feet, the tiny voltage drop of a standard extension cord isn't enough to be concerned with.

Of more value is that for the last few months I've had my WSF on a battery backup, initially it was there at the grill, but now I keep the UPS in the closet where the plug is and run the 50' ext cable to the WSF, it works just as well either way :)

Thanks, thats good to know. A UPS is a good idea. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks so much. I'm really happy to be here!!

Latest Discussions

Back