Initial Start: Can you get the initial startup going without an Error Code and restart?

I did the update before firing up and didnt have an issue. Got up to 600 in 10 mins or so and held through the seasoning process. Its 15 degrees here today so not ideal conditions. Good luck to all! Note my genesis II chilling covered to the side asking who this new mate is ha View attachment 131
Wow. It must be getting hot. It melted all of the snow around it.

Mine seems to be going smoothly. Filled the hopper with about 22lbs and just let her rip. Got up to 600 in 15 minutes.
So glad to hear this. Did you do the software update before you started? Was it easy to do?

There is an ongoing theme I am seeing on the forum of pellets forming a cavity in which the grill goes into shutdown mode and leaves you cold and not done! Anybody seeing this here? Not impressed with this development... It seems to be a flaw in design of some sort. Maybe not enough slope in the auger bin or maybe moisture in pellets? I am just guessing... AGAIN.

So glad to hear this. Did you do the software update before you started? Was it easy to do?

Based on everything I have read, I made sure to do the update before any type of cooking on the grill.

The only hiccup I had, and I had read about this as well, is that once the update was done, I had to unpair and then re-pair with the grill to get it going.

There is an ongoing theme I am seeing on the forum of pellets forming a cavity in which the grill goes into shutdown mode and leaves you cold and not done! Anybody seeing this here? Not impressed with this development... It seems to be a flaw in design of some sort. Maybe not enough slope in the auger bin or maybe moisture in pellets? I am just guessing... AGAIN.

I saw that in a video. I'm kinda hoping it airs itself out as the dust from the pellets forms a barrier on the hopper. I never had a cavity form but I looked and moved the pellets every little bit. i could see it as an annoyance for those with more experience, but for me, it's small fries. could just be because I'm new to outdoor cooking in general.

I saw that in a video. I'm kinda hoping it airs itself out as the dust from the pellets forms a barrier on the hopper. I never had a cavity form but I looked and moved the pellets every little bit. i could see it as an annoyance for those with more experience, but for me, it's small fries. could just be because I'm new to outdoor cooking in general.
I appreciate your input here. I was wondering if maybe a quick spray of something like the stuff that makes an anti-stick barrier on pans and such like Pan would help here... just guessing... ( I am going to Trademark the name "just guessing") hehe

Think that's what a lot of us are doing. I'm under the opposite guess though. that the pellets are being held up by any shipping oils in the hopper and the dust barrier will smooth it out. Or it'll just be a quirk on an, otherwise, great machine.

Think that's what a lot of us are doing. I'm under the opposite guess though. that the pellets are being held up by any shipping oils in the hopper and the dust barrier will smooth it out. Or it'll just be a quirk on an, otherwise, great machine.
Yes, I do believe they must have thought of this in their R and D. We must remind ourselves that the things we are sharing here in this forum are the experiences of the very first people in the world to have the Weber SmokeFire and use it in real world conditions. I am sure that Weber is paying attention to what is being said here and in other forums like this across the country. I am not an expert. But I am an excellent guesser. TM. hehe

So far I’ve had no issues. I updated the firmware before I did my burn-in. It was 10 degrees and hit 600 in 20 minutes and held steady based on the controller temp reading for 45 minutes. Ive fired it up two additional times to cook some turkey breasts and currently have a pork shoulder on at 250. both times fired right up and got to set temp in around 15 to 20 minute in 30 to 35 degrees. each time I’ve started it I’ve waited for smoke before closing the lid.

Many people I have watched and listened to say that they have issues when doing the initial start. What has been your experience with this? I had mentioned that it seems like maybe priming the heat pot could keep that from happening, but I don't know. It seems like there should be a provision for the gap from where the auger is empty to the time that it is full and moving pellets to the stove. In that gap time that is where the error happens from what I can see, and then people have to do a shutdown and restart. Which takes like 15 minutes. Just wanting to avoid having this issue when I do get mine going! Please share your thoughts.
Reading through this thread makes me wonder if you need the app to operate the grill. Will it start without the app? What if a person does not have a smart phone? Do you need to keep updating the software if you don't use the app? Just curious, it shouldn't be such a technical thing in my opinion. It's just a grill.

Back