I’ve officially pulled the plug

CaptRedBeard

Reaction score
He y’all,

After careful consideration, I’ve decided to pull the ejection handle on the smokefire. I was scheduled to receive my Ex6 on Friday of this week. Called Weber today and canceled. Funny, when I told the rep on the phone why I was canceling, he actually admitted that he has been canceling a fair amount of these units within the past few days. Far too much negative publicity on something that hasn’t been out on the street for no more than a couple of weeks now. I have had and do currently own other Weber products that have been outstanding. I think they just rushed to get their production units to the market prematurely. My guess was trying to get the money grab by spring. Too much money to be a guinea pig. I wish you all good luck with your cookers. After I get my reimbursement, I’m leaning towards a camp chef woodwind. Seems like similar money with less hassle. Capt Red Beard, out!!!

He y’all,

After careful consideration, I’ve decided to pull the ejection handle on the smokefire. I was scheduled to receive my Ex6 on Friday of this week. Called Weber today and canceled. Funny, when I told the rep on the phone why I was canceling, he actually admitted that he has been canceling a fair amount of these units within the past few days. Far too much negative publicity on something that hasn’t been out on the street for no more than a couple of weeks now. I have had and do currently own other Weber products that have been outstanding. I think they just rushed to get their production units to the market prematurely. My guess was trying to get the money grab by spring. Too much money to be a guinea pig. I wish you all good luck with your cookers. After I get my reimbursement, I’m leaning towards a camp chef woodwind. Seems like similar money with less hassle. Capt Red Beard, out!!!
I did the same on Monday. But please hang around. I have not had any negativity towards bowing out and I think we can still share experiences here. I am currently looking at the RT700. Not sure yet. God bless. Still love my Weber Kettle 18!

Well Hell. And I was planning on getting one next month. There was probably a quality gap between the test and production units. Plus engineering tests are no match for real world pounding. I’m pleased with the basics of this and it seems to smoke well, but the problems need to be addressed. I am confident Weber will do so.

Got mine built today, updated and got to 600 in 15 min(20 degrees outside) held strong for 30 minutes no issues, will be doing my first cooks this weekend . I was very worried watching all the videos and hearing everyone’s negative feedback, but so far impressed. I’ll keep everyone updated how it goes fingers crossed for me!! I hate to see how bad it’s been going for everyone when we were all so excited for the release?

Well Hell. And I was planning on getting one next month. There was probably a quality gap between the test and production units. Plus engineering tests are no match for real world pounding. I’m pleased with the basics of this and it seems to smoke well, but the problems need to be addressed. I am confident Weber will do so.
By Weber entering the market they have made it better for everyone in the long run.

Got mine built today, updated and got to 600 in 15 min(20 degrees outside) held strong for 30 minutes no issues, will be doing my first cooks this weekend . I was very worried watching all the videos and hearing everyone’s negative feedback, but so far impressed. I’ll keep everyone updated how it goes fingers crossed for me!! I hate to see how bad it’s been going for everyone when we were all so excited for the release?
I am so glad you are having a good experience, and so is Weber! hehe

I decided to pull the plug last night. I emailed my contact at the local distributor this morning. No response yet. It seemed that the more people that had these grills in their hands, the worse the news got. I couldn't justify going through with my purchase. I'm still hanging around here because I want to see how Weber handles this debacle and how they treat the folks here who stuck with their purchase. I think that they should refund people's money and go back to the drawing board. (or don't do a pellet grill at all)

I'm also curious about what grills people move to instead of the SmokeFire if they chose that route, plus I met some terrific grilling enthusiasts. 😊

I decided to pull the plug last night. I emailed my contact at the local distributor this morning. No response yet. It seemed that the more people that had these grills in their hands, the worse the news got. I couldn't justify going through with my purchase. I'm still hanging around here because I want to see how Weber handles this debacle and how they treat the folks here who stuck with their purchase. I think that they should refund people's money and go back to the drawing board. (or don't do a pellet grill at all)

I'm also curious about what grills people move to instead of the SmokeFire if they chose that route, plus I met some terrific grilling enthusiasts. 😊
I am looking at the Rec Tec. The RT700. There are a lot of positive reviews. But what I am thinking of doing is not getting anything for a while and doing more research and listening to everyone here.

I am looking at the Rec Tec. The RT700. There are a lot of positive reviews. But what I am thinking of doing is not getting anything for a while and doing more research and listening to everyone here.
That is what I am thinking too. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a Rec Tec dealer here in the great white north though. They seem decent, but after this experience, I want to do my homework. With all of that said, I'm not in a hurry, I have a gas grill and my Vision Grills Kamado so I can still cook some tasty food.

That is what I am thinking too. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a Rec Tec dealer here in the great white north though. They seem decent, but after this experience, I want to do my homework. With all of that said, I'm not in a hurry, I have a gas grill and my Vision Grills Kamado so I can still cook some tasty food.
Yeah, it's kind of like buying guitars. Some of the high end guitars I have been interested in are not in this area. So I bought a 2K guitar from a company and they had a free shipping return policy. Then I bought another after I sent that one back... 3 guitars later... That was an over 3K guitar I ended up with! But it looks like Rec Tec has a good thing going in the great state of Georgia!

Traeger had many of the same issues with their new grills last year. It took a few months but with every update the grills got better, held temps better, the app got better. I’m disappointed that Weber is having these issues right off the bat but I believe they will get them resolved with a little time. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience good or bad!

Mine finally shows up tomorrow. I’m debating whether I keep it in the box in the garage for 29 days to stay within my return window or just ride this thing with some barbecue in my belly... what do you guys think?

Back