I’ve officially pulled the plug

CaptRedBeard

Reaction score
He y’all,

After careful consideration, I’ve decided to pull the ejection handle on the smokefire. I was scheduled to receive my Ex6 on Friday of this week. Called Weber today and canceled. Funny, when I told the rep on the phone why I was canceling, he actually admitted that he has been canceling a fair amount of these units within the past few days. Far too much negative publicity on something that hasn’t been out on the street for no more than a couple of weeks now. I have had and do currently own other Weber products that have been outstanding. I think they just rushed to get their production units to the market prematurely. My guess was trying to get the money grab by spring. Too much money to be a guinea pig. I wish you all good luck with your cookers. After I get my reimbursement, I’m leaning towards a camp chef woodwind. Seems like similar money with less hassle. Capt Red Beard, out!!!

Brian Vallotton

Reaction score
He y’all,

After careful consideration, I’ve decided to pull the ejection handle on the smokefire. I was scheduled to receive my Ex6 on Friday of this week. Called Weber today and canceled. Funny, when I told the rep on the phone why I was canceling, he actually admitted that he has been canceling a fair amount of these units within the past few days. Far too much negative publicity on something that hasn’t been out on the street for no more than a couple of weeks now. I have had and do currently own other Weber products that have been outstanding. I think they just rushed to get their production units to the market prematurely. My guess was trying to get the money grab by spring. Too much money to be a guinea pig. I wish you all good luck with your cookers. After I get my reimbursement, I’m leaning towards a camp chef woodwind. Seems like similar money with less hassle. Capt Red Beard, out!!!
I did the same on Monday. But please hang around. I have not had any negativity towards bowing out and I think we can still share experiences here. I am currently looking at the RT700. Not sure yet. God bless. Still love my Weber Kettle 18!

OP
CaptRedBeard

CaptRedBeard

Reaction score
No doubt. I’m still hanging around. I have a 22” kettle and Genesis. I don’t doubt Weber will figure out their issues. I wish them all the best of luck.

RedGrave

Reaction score
Well Hell. And I was planning on getting one next month. There was probably a quality gap between the test and production units. Plus engineering tests are no match for real world pounding. I’m pleased with the basics of this and it seems to smoke well, but the problems need to be addressed. I am confident Weber will do so.

rock1640

Reaction score
Got mine built today, updated and got to 600 in 15 min(20 degrees outside) held strong for 30 minutes no issues, will be doing my first cooks this weekend . I was very worried watching all the videos and hearing everyone’s negative feedback, but so far impressed. I’ll keep everyone updated how it goes fingers crossed for me!! I hate to see how bad it’s been going for everyone when we were all so excited for the release?

Brian Vallotton

Reaction score
Well Hell. And I was planning on getting one next month. There was probably a quality gap between the test and production units. Plus engineering tests are no match for real world pounding. I’m pleased with the basics of this and it seems to smoke well, but the problems need to be addressed. I am confident Weber will do so.
By Weber entering the market they have made it better for everyone in the long run.

Brian Vallotton

Reaction score
Got mine built today, updated and got to 600 in 15 min(20 degrees outside) held strong for 30 minutes no issues, will be doing my first cooks this weekend . I was very worried watching all the videos and hearing everyone’s negative feedback, but so far impressed. I’ll keep everyone updated how it goes fingers crossed for me!! I hate to see how bad it’s been going for everyone when we were all so excited for the release?
I am so glad you are having a good experience, and so is Weber! hehe

Billybo

Reaction score
I decided to pull the plug last night. I emailed my contact at the local distributor this morning. No response yet. It seemed that the more people that had these grills in their hands, the worse the news got. I couldn't justify going through with my purchase. I'm still hanging around here because I want to see how Weber handles this debacle and how they treat the folks here who stuck with their purchase. I think that they should refund people's money and go back to the drawing board. (or don't do a pellet grill at all)

I'm also curious about what grills people move to instead of the SmokeFire if they chose that route, plus I met some terrific grilling enthusiasts. 😊

Brian Vallotton

Reaction score
I decided to pull the plug last night. I emailed my contact at the local distributor this morning. No response yet. It seemed that the more people that had these grills in their hands, the worse the news got. I couldn't justify going through with my purchase. I'm still hanging around here because I want to see how Weber handles this debacle and how they treat the folks here who stuck with their purchase. I think that they should refund people's money and go back to the drawing board. (or don't do a pellet grill at all)

I'm also curious about what grills people move to instead of the SmokeFire if they chose that route, plus I met some terrific grilling enthusiasts. 😊
I am looking at the Rec Tec. The RT700. There are a lot of positive reviews. But what I am thinking of doing is not getting anything for a while and doing more research and listening to everyone here.

Billybo

Reaction score
I am looking at the Rec Tec. The RT700. There are a lot of positive reviews. But what I am thinking of doing is not getting anything for a while and doing more research and listening to everyone here.
That is what I am thinking too. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a Rec Tec dealer here in the great white north though. They seem decent, but after this experience, I want to do my homework. With all of that said, I'm not in a hurry, I have a gas grill and my Vision Grills Kamado so I can still cook some tasty food.

Brian Vallotton

Reaction score
That is what I am thinking too. I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a Rec Tec dealer here in the great white north though. They seem decent, but after this experience, I want to do my homework. With all of that said, I'm not in a hurry, I have a gas grill and my Vision Grills Kamado so I can still cook some tasty food.
Yeah, it's kind of like buying guitars. Some of the high end guitars I have been interested in are not in this area. So I bought a 2K guitar from a company and they had a free shipping return policy. Then I bought another after I sent that one back... 3 guitars later... That was an over 3K guitar I ended up with! But it looks like Rec Tec has a good thing going in the great state of Georgia!

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Traeger had many of the same issues with their new grills last year. It took a few months but with every update the grills got better, held temps better, the app got better. I’m disappointed that Weber is having these issues right off the bat but I believe they will get them resolved with a little time. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience good or bad!

BarreBQ

Reaction score
Mine finally shows up tomorrow. I’m debating whether I keep it in the box in the garage for 29 days to stay within my return window or just ride this thing with some barbecue in my belly... what do you guys think?

SmokeMeister

Reaction score
Mine finally shows up tomorrow. I’m debating whether I keep it in the box in the garage for 29 days to stay within my return window or just ride this thing with some barbecue in my belly... what do you guys think?
I apologize I can't remember where you said you ordered it from, but if the return policy allows for returning a used item, I say go for it! At this point, I think we're all aware of the major issues, hopper feeding, grease management, poor app, etc. Those can be managed with a little attention, patience, and some $1 aluminum trays. Should you have to do that? No, but I am hoping that Weber will step up and solve most of the issues over time and we'll end up with an excellent cooker.

If you aren't able to try it before returning, it gets a little gray. I have firsthand experience that Weber will step up and take care of any warranty-type issues. However, you could get a perfectly working grill and still not be happy with how it operates.

Maybe it depends on if you are ok being an early adopter. Having to deal with some issues that are likely to be ironed out over time.

I will say that it is very frustrating that I can't give it my full recommendation. I don't envy your decision, but I think the best thing you can do is evaluate your situation and all the available information and try to make the best decision you can while trying not to get caught up in the "kid on Christmas morning" feeling. Good luck, and keep us updated one way or the other!

DanaM

Reaction score
The Rec Tec 700 was on my planned list to purchase when Weber announced the SmokeFire last year. A couple of things that stood out with Weber over the Rec Tec is 1 - flame searing. Rec Tec uses a drip pan so no flames can ever get directly to the meat so they recommend those expensive grill grates for searing. 2 - Rec Tec only goes up to 500 the Smokefire up to 600.

BarreBQ

Reaction score
I apologize I can't remember where you said you ordered it from, but if the return policy allows for returning a used item, I say go for it! At this point, I think we're all aware of the major issues, hopper feeding, grease management, poor app, etc. Those can be managed with a little attention, patience, and some $1 aluminum trays. Should you have to do that? No, but I am hoping that Weber will step up and solve most of the issues over time and we'll end up with an excellent cooker.

If you aren't able to try it before returning, it gets a little gray. I have firsthand experience that Weber will step up and take care of any warranty-type issues. However, you could get a perfectly working grill and still not be happy with how it operates.

Maybe it depends on if you are ok being an early adopter. Having to deal with some issues that are likely to be ironed out over time.

I will say that it is very frustrating that I can't give it my full recommendation. I don't envy your decision, but I think the best thing you can do is evaluate your situation and all the available information and try to make the best decision you can while trying not to get caught up in the "kid on Christmas morning" feeling. Good luck, and keep us updated one way or the other!
Thanks for the response.
I ordered mine through Weber directly. Their verbiage says unopened but it also has verbiage regarding defective so I may be safe there.
I have a lot of patience and feel the same as you that we will end up with a great cooker in the long run.

FredSC

Reaction score
I've only done 3 cooks on mine so far, and I only had issues with the low and slow cook, and that was with the pellets bridging or forming a cavity and not falling into the auger. I plan on doing so more cooks this weekend. The app is crap, definitely not up to where it should be. The grill makes delicious food. But there are issues, I have to admit I expected better from Weber. Higher temperature cooks of 375 for a turkey breast and 500 to grill steaks went well with no issues. I will do another low and slow and a high temp searing cook this weekend and post results.
If you do unbox yours make sure to let the update download through the app first before setting a temperature and starting the burn in. Wait and see is a good strategy, but nothing wrong with putting it together and start figuring out what is going on either, that's up to you. Other makes of pellet grills have issues as well, but maybe they are better ironed out.

OP
CaptRedBeard

CaptRedBeard

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
I ordered mine through Weber directly. Their verbiage says unopened but it also has verbiage regarding defective so I may be safe there.
I have a lot of patience and feel the same as you that we will end up with a great cooker in the long run.
Per my conversation with Weber yesterday, if it’s used I cannot return it. They actually suggested that I cancel my order in lieu of accepting delivery and using the grill if I had any doubt of not keeping it... Not trying to sway your decision, just sharing the same information I received.

Latest Discussions