How fast to 600 on smokefire?

ErikDabrowsky

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hi,

I have an EX4 and tonight I timed it from cold start up to 600 degrees. It took about 23 minutes.
I seem to recall that it got up to 600 faster in the past, but I never really timed it before.
I'm using PitBoss competition blend pellets.

Is that what you guys are seeing with yours?
Ambient temp was about 80 degrees.

I bought mine in July, but it has a production date from December, 2019.
It has the latest software/firmware but all hardware is original.

Thanks,
Erik

15-20 minutes sounds about right. I just did a tri-tip and my SF is FILTHY and it had no issues.

Hi,

I have an EX4 and tonight I timed it from cold start up to 600 degrees. It took about 23 minutes.
I seem to recall that it got up to 600 faster in the past, but I never really timed it before.
I'm using PitBoss competition blend pellets.

Is that what you guys are seeing with yours?
Ambient temp was about 80 degrees.

I bought mine in July, but it has a production date from December, 2019.
It has the latest software/firmware but all hardware is original.

Thanks,
Erik
That time is not terrible, but it may be time to contact Weber and request welded auger replacement. Over time the gasket on the original two-piece auger housing begins to fray and leak; something that both slow the pellet fed (the frayed gasket material interferes with pellet feed) and air leakage interferes with efficient combustion.
My gasket, albeit slightly worn, is still functioning fine, but when I contacted Weber the sent me a new welded auger which finally I will be installing this weekend. An easy DIY project that takes 30-45 minutes. Only reason I didn’t do it earlier as I do mostly smoking and occasionally cook at temp up to 400F, so not noticeable issue so far.

Last edited:
My EX 4 takes 15 to 20 minutes also depending on weather, though haven’t actually timed it with the new firmware/software.

My EX6 gets to 600° in exactly 14 minutes, like clockwork, every time. That said, every time I've done 600° the temp outside was already around 80-85°. And if the sun was shining directly on the grill it was already close to 100°F inside when I took the cover off. Colder than 80° and I would expect that preheat time to increase.

I’m feeling really lucky because I haven’t had a single issue for quite a while and have been pleased with the updates. I feel like the SF is reacting quite a bit quicker when changing temperature. My experience is continuously improving and it’s to the point now that I feel this thing is everything it was originally advertised and has exceeded my expectation. I can’t believe how much I like it.

I opened a ticket with customer support to ask about it and the rep said:

"Thank you for your email. I would say that is in range, however, the new welded chute/auger assembly has helped and I'd be happy to send it out. I'd also recommend emptying the hopper and vacuuming out the chute?"

So far I'm happy with the grill and with Weber's support.

I used it this weekend to make smoked balogna (Oklahoma Prime Rib) and that turned out good.
Going to grill some fajita chicken on it tonight.

Got the new welded chute, auger, and motor assembly in today. I'll install it this weekend and do a before/after test and share the results.

I’m feeling really lucky because I haven’t had a single issue for quite a while and have been pleased with the updates. I feel like the SF is reacting quite a bit quicker when changing temperature. My experience is continuously improving and it’s to the point now that I feel this thing is everything it was originally advertised and has exceeded my expectation. I can’t believe how much I like it.
I could have typed this, I feel exactly the same way.

In fact I’ve been so busy I haven’t had time to clean my SF and it’s still worked great.

I could have typed this, I feel exactly the same way.

In fact I’ve been so busy I haven’t had time to clean my SF and it’s still worked great.
Yes. Mine is filthy too. I’d better change that this weekend.

I do wish they would fix the app to allow timers and such from the phone. I’m very pleased with the progress. It’s come a long way.

Here's an old post from April with some numbers.

Life got busy, but I finally got a chance to install the welded auger/chute/motor assembly todaay.
Here are the results:
Old hardware, Pit Boss pellets: 20:52
New hardware, Pit Boss pellets: 14:00
New hardware, Weber pellets: 14:38

I’m with you. Really rough feb-may but it’s been awesome since

Back