Hopper insert

From what I’ve seen it makes more of a difference in the EX6 than the EX4. I have it in my EX4 but I’ve been contemplating taking it out as I’m not sure it‘s really needed. Pellets do seem to slide better on the stainless steel though.

For me the bigger impact to pellet feed was removing the wire finger guard (just don’t stick you hand in the auger). If you remove it don’t remove all three screws at the same time as they attach to the auger chute. Also stick a rag down the chute in case you drop a screw.

I do. I installed it early after the release while I was playing pellet games. Not sure is it really makes a difference. Pellet makes a bigger difference.

I do. I installed it early after the release while I was playing pellet games. Not sure is it really makes a difference. Pellet makes a bigger difference.
Agreed! It does help imo, but I’m always checking the pellets anyways, pushing them over to the hole. I ran out once previously before the insert. So I’m kind of scared of that happening again.

From what I’ve seen it makes more of a difference in the EX6 than the EX4. I have it in my EX4 but I’ve been contemplating taking it out as I’m not sure it‘s really needed. Pellets do seem to slide better on the stainless steel though.

For me the bigger impact to pellet feed was removing the wire finger guard (just don’t stick you hand in the auger). If you remove it don’t remove all three screws at the same time as they attach to the auger chute. Also stick a rag down the chute in case you drop a screw.
I had an extra paver brick laying in the yard, wrapped it in foil and put it at the peak of the original chute. As the pallets go down the brick pushes the remaining pallets down without any babysitting. Either way if your grill is registered it is free But it reduces the capacity of the hopper. I have one but still have not installed it because I always am checking on my cooks at least every two hours. For an overnight cook, try the brick fix. It works! As the grill develops a film on the chute, the problem eventually goes away.

Does everyone have it , does It make a difference?
I have it and installed about a week after I started using my ex4. Why? Because it was in a separate box when I got my boxed SmokeFire, and I figured “ why not”. While it helps some, I have never had an issue with pellet feed. Personally I think removing the “legal beagle” CYA finger guard it far more important.

Yeah, I’m in the wire guard removal camp. I figure the pellets are already on that slope without the insert. They just have other pellets under them. Pellet feeding is a non issue for me once I removed the wire obstruction.

Hmm, I’ve had no problem using that special tool. 🖐🏻

However when I put in my welded chute I will remove the finger guard just for fun.

I lost temp and checked the hopper. The pellets were fine. This was my first cook after replacing the chute with the "new" chute which was the same as the old chute.

Back