Hello from Chicagoland

MojoBones

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6 (Slow-n-Low) / WPPO Lil Luigi (Pizza) / Summit S-670 (Everything Else)
Hey all,

I recently purchased an EX6 and am new to pellet grills (purchased and assembled yesterday). I have owned a Summit S-670 for about 11 years. Any suggestions or resources on how to ease into this grill with beginner level or high success rate cooks and/or slow cooking techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Keep calm, grill on, and serve,

MJB

AHoneyman

Reaction score
I would suggest a pork butt - go low and slow with no time limit to get done and use a probe.

tigermikie

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Just remember that the SF is a hybrid grill. I think an awful lot of problems people have had was due to not realizing this fact.
ENJOY!

OP
MojoBones

MojoBones

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6 (Slow-n-Low) / WPPO Lil Luigi (Pizza) / Summit S-670 (Everything Else)
Sounds like a plan, thanks very much!

OP
MojoBones

MojoBones

Reaction score
Grill
Welcome aboard. Just remember that the SF is a hybrid grill. I think an awful lot of problems people have had was due to not realizing this fact.
ENJOY!

Good advice, thanks. I plan on using my SF as a smoker or slow cooking grill only. I have another grill for searing and higher temp cooking.

Glenn

Reaction score
So far favorites; Lamb chops (pasted with garlic, rosemary,tyme, salt pepper) 550% about 3-4 min each side.
Whole Chicken (Meat church rub) 375% about 1 3/4 hours. Juiciest chicken ever and a cheap date. Burghers 85/15 fat 600 3-4 minutes a side. Pizza on a stone 550% 4-6 minutes - my personal favorite. Of course baby back ribs 3/1.5/1 method 225% — favorite rub and sauce.

OP
MojoBones

MojoBones

Reaction score
Grill
So far favorites; Lamb chops (pasted with garlic, rosemary,tyme, salt pepper) 550% about 3-4 min each side.
Whole Chicken (Meat church rub) 375% about 1 3/4 hours. Juiciest chicken ever and a cheap date. Burghers 85/15 fat 600 3-4 minutes a side. Pizza on a stone 550% 4-6 minutes - my personal favorite. Of course baby back ribs 3/1.5/1 method 225% — favorite rub and sauce.

Thanks Glenn! I had to look up the method for the Rib cook you mentioned. Now that I understand that process, that sounds especially fantastic. My go to grill (Summit) could never maintain a low enough heat for that period of time.

Glenn

Reaction score
Have always done ribs in foil, after smoking 3 hours. Next time I’m going to do it in butcher paper to see what happens — Thinking that the foil is basically steaming the ribs, butcher paper may give you a well done rib without loosing so much juice. Forgot to mention — my favorite sauce for ribs in the last hour is an old one (maybe 30 years) Weber Original BBQ Sauce — you can find it anywhere on-line.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Welcome. I say pork butt or spatchcock chicken

Latest Discussions