Had my first issue.

abmet

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well today experienced my first real issue with my EX4. Had just put on some turkey breasts and noticed the probe temp wasn’t moving on the controller from 66 (air temp) down to the temp of the turkey that just came out of the fridge. Pulled out my phone to see what it said and showed it was not connected. Checked my Eero app and it also showed the SmokeFire offline. Went outside and the Bluetooth symbol was on but it wouldn’t connect to my phone either. Both probes I had plugged in appeared to be frozen. Plugged them into the other open ports and nothing happened. The original probe ports still showed the stuck temp. Fortunately the grill temp seemed to be working and holding at 225 and lowered as expected when I opened the lid. Grabbed my old iGrill and put one probe on top rack and one in one of the turkey breasts and the ambient probe showed 220. My cook is almost done and hopefully shutting down and back on it will connect. This is the first time I’ve done a cook with the 1.2 software.

Well today experienced my first real issue with my EX4. Had just put on some turkey breasts and noticed the probe temp wasn’t moving on the controller from 66 (air temp) down to the temp of the turkey that just came out of the fridge. Pulled out my phone to see what it said and showed it was not connected. Checked my Eero app and it also showed the SmokeFire offline. Went outside and the Bluetooth symbol was on but it wouldn’t connect to my phone either. Both probes I had plugged in appeared to be frozen. Plugged them into the other open ports and nothing happened. The original probe ports still showed the stuck temp. Fortunately the grill temp seemed to be working and holding at 225 and lowered as expected when I opened the lid. Grabbed my old iGrill and put one probe on top rack and one in one of the turkey breasts and the ambient probe showed 220. My cook is almost done and hopefully shutting down and back on it will connect. This is the first time I’ve done a cook with the 1.2 software.
I had my first issue too this last weekend and it was similarly related to probes but the ambient cool box temp was fine. Here is an excerpt I sent to Weber (asked me for controller version info and waiting for response):

I put the steak on, plugged the probe into port 1 and it displayed 84 degrees (which it should not have beings out of fridge for 30 min).

I then plugged the same probe (still in the meat), into probe ports 2, 3, and then 4 and you can see the results of around 46 degrees. Then I went back and did it a second time and took the pictures. I actually re-seated the probe multiple times into port 1 to see if anything would change but it never did, it kept displaying 84 degrees.

I left it in probe port 2 for the duration of the cook. When the temp reading reached just over 130 and was ready to come off the grill (about 2 hours later), out of curiosity I plugged the probe into port 1 and it ready 131 degrees.

Cooked some salmon fillets tonight and no issues. Grill was only running for probably an hour and a half. Hopefully was a one time occurrence.

Response from Weber support. I was on the latest app and Controller firmware/software when my issue occurred.

“We had some customer experience issues with their WiFi connection however our recent App update improved WiFi connection. The latest version of the App for iOS users are 0.9.4 and for Android its 0.9.3.

Our first major software update should be released next week and become available for customers shortly. Just like the initial update you had to do with your SmokeFire the App will request you to update.

We are planning temperature control to be available on the Weber Connect App in April. “

Response from Weber support. I was on the latest app and Controller firmware/software when my issue occurred.

“We had some customer experience issues with their WiFi connection however our recent App update improved WiFi connection. The latest version of the App for iOS users are 0.9.4 and for Android its 0.9.3.

Our first major software update should be released next week and become available for customers shortly. Just like the initial update you had to do with your SmokeFire the App will request you to update.

We are planning temperature control to be available on the Weber Connect App in April. “
I received a very similar response., I have the newest f/w and OS. Next cook I didn’t have the probe reading issue and I’m smoking a Boston Butt now. They said the glitch I experienced should be fixed be fixed. However with the current world situation I guess we’ll see if that still occurs next week. Assuming the software engineers are working remotely... stay safe and healthy.

Back