Grillgrates - UK

sntwilliams

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
Hi folks, i'm currently the opposite end of the UK to my smokefire EX6 so I can't nip outside with a tape measure.

Can anyone advise which length grates I need? The UK website doesn't list smokefire specific ones like the US does.

Secondly, I'm thinking I will only purchase 2 grates as apposed to the 3 that come with the smokefire specific US kit as I have the GBS grates in mine and would only want to swap out the one standard non-gbs grate when I want to sear something.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks

Simon

Will do! Were you thinking of 3 grate panels or 2? I'm still undecided.

Aha! I think I'll start with two, so I can swap out my non-gbs grate when I need to. I'll see how I get on with that, I can always buy another one or two if I need 👍

Actually I wanted to do 2 feet wide and have 2 grates full and leave my regular grate to the left.

Oh I see. Well I'll let you know how I get on with the two panels and then I'd be keen to see how you get on with four!

If you find any 'cheap' then please share!

I love my Grillgrates on my Genesis but haven’t got any for the SmokeFire yet. One thing to note is that they increase the temp quite a bit. On My Genesis I never use high anymore and when I set to medium the grates are as hot as high was with the cast iron grates I had. I do have a full set on it so I believe it is because they are mostly solid with small holes they trap more heat along with being aluminum. For high-temp cooks on the SmokeFire would be great I bet. I’m just not sure on low temp how would impact the the controller keeping the grill at the set temp. Though might not be an issue if didn’t cover the entire surface.

On my Genesis I have two sections flipped upside down so have a griddle like surface that is great for full sears, vegetables, and toasting buns. Since SmokeFire gets most of my usage now I have thought about getting a couple sections to use on top of the existing grates so can use for high-temp cooks or when wanting a more solid griddle like surface.

I love my Grillgrates on my Genesis but haven’t got any for the SmokeFire yet. One thing to note is that they increase the temp quite a bit. On My Genesis I never use high anymore and when I set to medium the grates are as hot as high was with the cast iron grates I had. I do have a full set on it so I believe it is because they are mostly solid with small holes they trap more heat along with being aluminum. For high-temp cooks on the SmokeFire would be great I bet. I’m just not sure on low temp how would impact the the controller keeping the grill at the set temp. Though might not be an issue if didn’t cover the entire surface.

On my Genesis I have two sections flipped upside down so have a griddle like surface that is great for full sears, vegetables, and toasting buns. Since SmokeFire gets most of my usage now I have thought about getting a couple sections to use on top of the existing grates so can use for high-temp cooks or when wanting a more solid griddle like surface.

Mine have now arrived and they look like a great bit of kit. I'll be using them for a high temp cook tonight hopefully.

I've purchased a total of 4 individual grates and will be swapping them on and off depending on what I'm doing.

Mine have now arrived and they look like a great bit of kit. I'll be using them for a high temp cook tonight hopefully.

I've purchased a total of 4 individual grates and will be swapping them on and off depending on what I'm doing.
Nice, look in forward to your review, I am thinking about buying 4 panels myself.

Hi! how did you get on with the grill grates? Do you do a lot of high temp cooking on the WSF? hearing a lot of users will still prefer to use their gas grill for this due temp stability and high pellet usage on the WSF.

Hi! how did you get on with the grill grates? Do you do a lot of high temp cooking on the WSF? hearing a lot of users will still prefer to use their gas grill for this due temp stability and high pellet usage on the WSF.

The grill grates have been great so far, no complaints. I have been doing more high temp, short cook BBQs over the last few months as I've been working away a lot and not been around to slow cook all that much. As long as you get them up to temp, the results have been excellent. Probably not quite as good as a gas grill in terms of sear levels, but you get all that lovely woodsmoke flavour as well!

Back