Grill Grates

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Grill Grates on a previous Weber grill (Gas or Charcoal). A lot of the pellet grill owners seem to have great success using them to sear steaks/chicken/burgers/etc. I have yet to order a set but it's on the "want list"

I actually have a set of GrillGrates on an old weber spirit gas grill. They're super awesome! Does all the stuff they claim - easy to clean, distributes heat evenly across the grates, no unwanted flare-ups, sears like a champ, etc. I have every intention of getting some for the EX-6 when the time comes!

This is an old thread but I wanted to bump it since we have so many new members on here. Has anyone had a chance to try a set of Grill Grates out with the SmokeFire?

smokefire-grillgrate1.jpg

smokefire-grillgrate2.jpg

Has anyone used Grill Grates on a previous Weber grill (Gas or Charcoal). A lot of the pellet grill owners seem to have great success using them to sear steaks/chicken/burgers/etc. I have yet to order a set but it's on the "want list"

I have an older Weber Genesis II that I replaced the stock grill with GrillGrates. They're awesome. I have it set up so half of the grill is "grate" and on the other half I have the grate flipped upside down which gives you a flat grill which is nice for veggies or smaller items that might normally drop between the grates. Better searing and definitely makes for far fewer flare ups.

In my opinion no Grill setup is complete without a set of these. It's an absolute must have. a cool trick you can try is flip them over. If you do some research there are a lot of people using them like this to provide a perfect sear vs. Just grill marks.

Anyone with experience using Grill Grates on the Smokefire over the last few months? My concern is that it would reduce the amount of smoke getting to the food with the small holes.

On the plus side, I imagine it would reduce the impact of the hot spot on the right hand side.

Looking at these as replacement grates instead of overtop of existing.

I am a big advocate of grill grates! I used to do tri-tip for big BBQ's at a Veterans Hospital on my Ranch Kettle using Mesquite lump charcoal. The lump charcoal burns much hotter than briquets, and I ended up ruining my cooking grate. I purchased 4 24" Grill Grates a couple of years ago for about 1/2 the cost of a new cooking grate. I love the grill marks I get now, and can even do a criss-cross pattern. As a side note, things got so hot the charcoal grate is now warped.

I will use them on my EX6 and expect great results. However, their engineering design actually intensifies cooking temperature and reduced the cook time on the tri-tip. You'll want to be sure and use thermometers, especially on the hot, right side. I'm sure you wouldn't get rid of the original grates, but I'm just thinking the grill gates my not be best for some items, such as turkeys or fish.

Great product on a gas grill. I have not tried them on the SF. The bbq stores in my area sell GG to go on smokers but I have no feedback.

I’m a big fan of the GG product. It is monumental for traditional pellet cookers and is still a great tool for the SF. Other pellet cookers cannot achieve the level of searing that the SF can achieve. That said I use them on gas, charcoal , and pellet grills. They allow you to achieve grill marks and an overall hot zone while running the grill at lower overall temps. Conserves fuel and creates a sort of two zone cook chamber. I have a couple sets and swap them between 4-5 cooking apparatus. Great overall product.

I got a set for my Weber Genesis the same time I got my SmokeFire. I haven’t used them on my SmokeFire but they’ve transformed my food on my Genesis. i used to get flair ups that made it difficult to be consistent and would dry out my food. Burgers are better than ever and I leave a section upside dow and use the flat side for vegetables and toasting buns. Also great for searing steaks after cooking low on SmokeFire. I love them and have thought about getting some for the SmokeFire but they do increase temp.

i have a set for my ex4 and love them i can now get rid of my gas grill
they are the same as spirit 310 series or genesis silver b and they fit right on the ex4

i have a set for my ex4 and love them i can now get rid of my gas grill
they are the same as spirit 310 series or genesis silver b and they fit right on the ex4

Do you put them over top of your EX-4 grates, or as a replacement? Do they fit tighter than the original grates that move quite a bit when cleaning?

they replaced the stock grates and they are nice and tight about 1" of spacing on each side which is gtate to let some of the heat out. you have to be a little careful because they will run about 100 to 150 degrees hotter then grill temp exelent for brats hamburgers or steak

Any new activity with GrillGrates on the SmokeFire? As far as new activity, I am currently trying a copper grid to dry jerky on the SF with SmokeBoost.

Question for those using them on your SF. Can they sit on the grill while I'm doing a long and slow? Or will that affect the ambient temp in the grill and cause issues with the controller ? I was thinking of I can leave them on one of the sides while I'm smoking a cowboy steak and then raise the temp to seat, and they're already in place or do I need to put them in after the smoke and before the sear. THANKS

Latest Discussions

Back