Greetings!

Mark.B

Reaction score
Grill
Weber Smokefire EX4 (gen 1),Weber Summit Silver (2004),Weber Performer Kettle,WSM, Jumbo Joe Go -Anywhere Charcoal
I just found this site and pretty excited to see one dedicated to the Smokefire. I just purchased an EX4 gen 1 for a steal of a deal. I’ve updated the software and already replaced the original glow plug. Burn in went great. First cook was a pretty good experience with 2 racks of ribs, but no where near the smokey flavor I get with my WSM or kettle, so a couple of questions. First, how to get more smoke flavor, and second what do most of you guys use for pellets. I got several bags of Weber pellets with the grill, but down the road I think I want to change as that may be part of the smoke flavor issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was pleasantly surprised with the units performance though. Rock steady @275 degrees in about 20 degree weather. It was about a 5 hr cook with the Weber blend pellets.

Welcome to the forums! I'm new to smoking in general but there are a lot of good and much more experienced cooks here that I know will be able to answer your questions. As for additional smoke flavor, using SmokeBoost mode has worked for me (link):

How do I use the SmokeBoost feature? – Weber Grills.

I may be off in my thinking but to me it's akin to injecting / marinating meet pre-cook.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forums! I'm new to smoking in general but there are a lot of good and much more experienced cooks here that I know will be able to answer your questions. As for additional smoke flavor, using SmokeBoost mode has worked for me (link):

How do I use the SmokeBoost feature? – Weber Grills.

I may be off in my thinking but to me it's akin to injecting / marinating meet pre-cook.

Cheers!
Yep, I haven’t tried the smoke boost yet, but plan too! I’m assuming this adds to the cook time since it lowers the temp of the cooker. Thanks!

I just found this site and pretty excited to see one dedicated to the Smokefire. I just purchased an EX4 gen 1 for a steal of a deal. I’ve updated the software and already replaced the original glow plug. Burn in went great. First cook was a pretty good experience with 2 racks of ribs, but no where near the smokey flavor I get with my WSM or kettle, so a couple of questions. First, how to get more smoke flavor, and second what do most of you guys use for pellets. I got several bags of Weber pellets with the grill, but down the road I think I want to change as that may be part of the smoke flavor issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was pleasantly surprised with the units performance though. Rock steady @275 degrees in about 20 degree weather. It was about a 5 hr cook with the Weber blend pellets.
Welcome to the Forum...lots of great members with tons of advise when needed. I have found that using Weber Hickory, or a combination of Hickory and Mesquite result in as much smoke flavor as my WSM 22” did when cooking low and slow ( 200-225F).

At higher temperature, the burn rate tends to reduce the smoke, so I then switch to Master Blend, or Cheery or Apple.

Yep, I haven’t tried the smoke boost yet, but plan too! I’m assuming this adds to the cook time since it lowers the temp of the cooker. Thanks!
It does, typically to between 160-180F.

It does, typically to between 160-180F.
Ahhh, I was wondering about the hickory. I just bought some Green Mointain Gold pellets that Harry Soo highly recommends. I’m going to give that a go too!

Ahhh, I was wondering about the hickory. I just bought some Green Mointain Gold pellets that Harry Soo highly recommends. I’m going to give that a go too!
Experimenting until one gets the desired results of smokiness and taste is half of the fun!

Experimenting until one gets the desired results of smokiness and taste is half of the fun!
That’s for sure! Think I’m going to try some high heat steaks next on this thing. hoping it’s as versatile as they appear!

That’s for sure! Think I’m going to try some high heat steaks next on this thing. hoping it’s as versatile as they appear!
[/QUOTE
It does, I just prefer using the center, three-burner sear station on my Summit s-670 for reverse searing after warming and smoking the the steaks on my ex4

The Smokefire puts out best in class smoke for a pellet cooker. I’m continually impressed.

Welcome!

Thank you! I’m a complete Weber fan boy, so I had to give this a try. I own a performer kettle, 20 yr Weber summit gasser, WSM, Jumbo Joe, and the portable charcoal grill. Customer service has always been top notch.

Welcome! I don’t believe any pellet grill is going to do as well as a kettle, or wsm. I have an EX6. I love it. Smoke boost is good, depending on size of meat. I honostly don’t see a big difference between smoke boost and normal burn. But it’s worth trying. I recommend Weber pellets.

Welcome! I don’t believe any pellet grill is going to do as well as a kettle, or wsm. I have an EX6. I love it. Smoke boost is good, depending on size of meat. I honostly don’t see a big difference between smoke boost and normal burn. But it’s worth trying. I recommend Weber pellets.
Yeah, I think the WSM is probably going to be smokier no matter what, but in reality, I think I’m the only one in my family that likes a stronger smoke flavor. They loved the ribs I did on it yesterday. I thought they were good, but I need to tweak some thing next time. I’ll be trying smokeboost on the pork butt I’m planning to do. I’ll probably stick with the Weber pellets until I run out. I do have the Hickory too, which I might blend with the comp blend.

Attachments

• 9C20E44B-6465-4D60-BC7B-741A02BB2C90.jpeg
    9C20E44B-6465-4D60-BC7B-741A02BB2C90.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back