Grate Spacers?

Mojo RyZen

Reaction score
I must admit my annoyance over the horizonal out-of-tolerance design of the grill grates. I'm a V1 owner, self-upgraded to V2, but afraid of software/firmware upgrades. I turn-off Bluetooth whenever I'm near this monstrosity. I clean grates with onions and I can't tell you how many times onion fragments fell through the spaces between my three EX6 grates. Now I hear that some customers have received grate spacers. What's the dealio?

Goneincognito

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4, WSM 14.5", 22" kettle
I got mine with the GEN2 unit here in Australia.
Unsure if it's because we get GBS Grates or something else.
You would give Weber a call and see if you can get them?

Goneincognito

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4, WSM 14.5", 22" kettle
Here one I found online.

Not home at the moment.

1610754925073.png

MojoBones

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6 (Slow-n-Low) / WPPO Lil Luigi (Pizza) / Summit S-670 (Everything Else)
So, the clips eliminate the wiggle room with the OEM grates...huh, simple solution with a no impact to manufacturing line changes.

AHoneyman

Reaction score
The grates are from a gasser, I believe. But what is the problem with a half inch move over three feet? A little space is good when trying to clean things up and removing the grates.

MojoBones

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6 (Slow-n-Low) / WPPO Lil Luigi (Pizza) / Summit S-670 (Everything Else)
The grates are from a gasser, I believe. But what is the problem with a half inch move over three feet? A little space is good when trying to clean things up and removing the grates.

I agree. I admit I was a bit annoyed at first seeing the spacing while putting the grill together but after the first cleaning it didn't bother me at all.

The engineer in me just digs a simple solution that has no real impact on a piece of hardware and software that together create a complex system.

Bruno

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I agree. I admit I was a bit annoyed at first seeing the spacing while putting the grill together but after the first cleaning it didn't bother me at all.

The engineer in me just digs a simple solution that has no real impact on a piece of hardware and software that together create a complex system.
I think it will be helpful to those of us who use the GBS grates, they can separate unlike the GBS grate from a kettle. I will update as soon as I try them out.

MojoBones

Reaction score
Grill
I think it will be helpful to those of us who use the GBS grates, they can separate unlike the GBS grate from a kettle. I will update as soon as I try them out.

Ah, cool, I haven't had the opportunity to dig into the GBS system at all but I am very intrigued. It looks like a great quality set of cooking tools for both SF and other weber grills.

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
Huh. New one on me. Mine are a little loose but not to the point it annoys me. I might want to try these if for nothing more than kicks. The grates are pretty substantial and don’t move around much IMO. Huh.

rexster314

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
The worst problem is having a couple of in progress grilled wings falling through the grates into the firebox.

OP
Mojo RyZen

Mojo RyZen

Reaction score
Sounds like you've never had food fall through the grill spaces. Lucky you.

rexster314

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
I guess when you're doing 40 wings on the grill and 1 or 2 fall through that's ok, but when you're doing a dozen or so, 1 or 2 can seriously short someone's meal

Bruno

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just put them in so we could see what they look like. Not a whole lot to them.
3C117C10-D700-4AB9-937E-EDD56A01C009.jpeg
FEC57E9D-F431-46C9-9531-661C4FA3C126.jpeg

RedSix

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
I used the “contact us” button on the Weber website Wednesday night asking about the spacer. Thursday morning I was asked my address. It is just after noon on Friday and it was just dropped on my doorstep. That’s service

Bruno

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I used the “contact us” button on the Weber website Wednesday night asking about the spacer. Thursday morning I was asked my address. It is just after noon on Friday and it was just dropped on my doorstep. That’s service
Weber customer service is the best I’ve had from any company!!

TexasBBQ

Reaction score
Grill
Weber SmokeFire EX4
I am using some speed nuts (clips) previously bought from Lowes. Stops the grills from moving around and I will use these until Weber ships me the official clips.

SpeedNut_IMG_1855.jpg
Speed2_IMG_1856.jpg

Latest Discussions