Good Pellets - Rookie Mistake!

SSSBBQ

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6 Gen 2, Weber Genesis II LX, Weber SMS
So last week traveled an hour to the neares Academy Sports and grabbed four 40 pound bags of the B&B Championship Blend pellets. Did some strips tonight, reverse sear for the first time on this thing, and the steaks cooked perfectly!! No pics as we devoured them before I thought to take any.

Proceeded to go in and enjoy the steaks as well as a wonderful Maryland crab cake (surf and turf MD style if you will) with baked tater and broccoli on the side. This was followed by a delicious peach cobbler that the wife made. Cleaned up things afterwards and poured some bourbon and got cigars to go back out to partake in a drink and a smoke with my son and his friend who were there for dinner.

Upon going out thought it was strange that the SmokeFire was still running and went and looked. Rookie mistake was thinking I went into shutdown after I was done cooking but I to confirm shutdown. The entire time the cooker was trying to get back to 500 degrees with the lid open. The alert that I got from it, which I assumed (I know, don’t assume) was it telling me Shutdown was Complete, was actually a low fuel warning. When I looked, it was very low on pellets, the plus side is that it fed 2/3’s of a hopper of these pellets with no issues. I have to look for something positive from this, right?

Lesson learned and hopefully not repeated!!

Well now you know…and knowing is half the battle.
G. I. Joe

It could be worse. I once left my Genesis on, all 3 burners, Med-High after a Friday night cook that might have involved a few Lite beers from Miller. You know, for hydration. I discovered my error on TUESDAY when I went out to warm it up for dinner... Needless to say it was already quite warm. My gas bill was about $10 higher that month, but the grill was very clean.... Thank you for thoroughly testing the Champ Blend for us. They're are on my list to try once i get over the "new grill" paranoia and start experimenting....

I concur with the B&B Championship blend. I have had no issues with B&B champ, or the "single" flavor (Mesquite, Pecan, Hickory). I haven't removed the finger guard either. I do tend to check the pellets frequently tho.

And I can confirm that you aren't the only one who has thought they had confirmed temp change/shutdown and discovering later that they hadn't. Confirming for a friend, of course.

I am so glad I am not the only one that has made the mistake of not confirming the shutdown.

This happens a lot in pellet cooking. Most commonly is not initiating a temp change and they think the thing is crap because they can’t get it up to temp. It’s almost always the case they never initiated the change. Happens with all kinds of brands. 🤣

Back