Glow Plug Life

I have been using my smokefire for a little less than 1 year. When I went to fire up my smokefire for my last cook, I saw a message that the glow plug needed to be replaced. This is my 4th glow plug within a year's time. Is that normal? I use my smokefire about 2-3 times per week. It is an EX4 and I have installed all of the part updates from Weber

Some do and some don't.
It's better to have them and not need one than need one and not have them.

As much as would like to practice what I preach, Weber Australia suck and don't provide spares (or the ability to purchase them).
The Canberra Weber Store provided me with two spare glow plugs on purchase (so far not used).
While I can't see spares mentioned on Weber's web-site, I saw on the Australian Smokefire Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/4065906650123542/search?q=glow plug) a post saying a user received a replacement under warranty after speaking to Customer Support. Of course, that's not useful if a glow plug fails when you're wanting to cook a meal!

The Canberra Weber Store provided me with two spare glow plugs on purchase (so far not used).
While I can't see spares mentioned on Weber's web-site, I saw on the Australian Smokefire Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/4065906650123542/search?q=glow plug) a post saying a user received a replacement under warranty after speaking to Customer Support. Of course, that's not useful if a glow plug fails when you're wanting to cook a meal!
You are correct..
Weber AU are only providing them as a warranty replacement and are not available for purchase.
I have heard that there is an extra now included in the box which wasn't a thing here in Australia when I got mine in 2020.

EX4 owner since Sept. 2020
Original glow plug
Average cook - 3 to 4 each month
Have only seen one flame out - removed guard - no further issues
Cook types - briskets, ribs, burgers, chicken, and steaks

Seems like mine just died. My EX6 v2 was shipped in March 2021 without a glow plug, so I had to contact customer service and have them ship one to me. This week it seems to finally be dead. I can get the Smokefire going if I light the pellets with a blow torch, but the glow plug doesn't seem to be doing anything now. I just put in a warranty claim, will see how Weber responds.

Seems like mine just died. My EX6 v2 was shipped in March 2021 without a glow plug, so I had to contact customer service and have them ship one to me. This week it seems to finally be dead. I can get the Smokefire going if I light the pellets with a blow torch, but the glow plug doesn't seem to be doing anything now. I just put in a warranty claim, will see how Weber responds.
Have you checked to see if the glow plug has a good ground connection?

Have you checked to see if the glow plug has a good ground connection?
This looks like it’s the issue. I was finally able to disassemble everything today and the glow plug is not touching the ground piece. The problem is I can’t get the damn thing out. I tried pulling about as hard as I can and also using a pair of pliers with no luck.

The way it’s in now it will not touch the ground on its own. Which is crazy because this worked fine up until last weekend when I had a flame out.

This looks like it’s the issue. I was finally able to disassemble everything today and the glow plug is not touching the ground piece. The problem is I can’t get the damn thing out. I tried pulling about as hard as I can and also using a pair of pliers with no luck.

The way it’s in now it will not touch the ground on its own. Which is crazy because this worked fine up until last weekend when I had a flame out.
Just put a hose clamp on it and if it works, future you can worry about getting it out.

Just put a hose clamp on it and if it works, future you can worry about getting it out.
That’s what I figured I’d end up doing. Checked the basement and couldn’t find a clamp or anything else suitable. Trying pulling again and the plastic housing snapped in half. I suppose I’ll be using a blow torch to get the grill going for a while…

That’s what I figured I’d end up doing. Checked the basement and couldn’t find a clamp or anything else suitable. Trying pulling again and the plastic housing snapped in half. I suppose I’ll be using a blow torch to get the grill going for a while…
I sent some photos in and Weber is sending out a new housing and glow plug.

Back