Glow Plug Life

catpowered

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
You better get one, or two before it quits. It won’t show itself when it’s convenient for you. Just saying.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks I have couple backups on hand.

AHoneyman

Reaction score
You can get it started without a glow plug. It just makes it a little harder. Depends how big of a cook is in play.

catpowered

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
You guys are better than me. I really haven’t had luck once the glow plug has failed at keeping a consistent fire going in the firebox..

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
The glow plug only ignites the pellets. Once lit it is dormant and the burning pellets and fans take over completely.

bbqking

2x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Grill
EX6, 2, 22” kettles, and a e310 gasser
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the glow plug ever come back on during a grilling session. The reason being, I think flame outs, seem to correlate to the glow plug. Maybe I’m smoking dope, but when I was having a few flame out issues, glow plug replacement seemed to work, as a fix.

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the glow plug ever come back on during a grilling session. The reason being, I think flame outs, seem to correlate to the glow plug. Maybe I’m smoking dope, but when I was having a few flame out issues, glow plug replacement seemed to work, as a fix.
Definitely smoking dope!🤣🤣😜😜

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I could be remembering wrong but I was thinking one of the firmware updates mentioned reigniting the glow plug but could be making it up in my head.

AHoneyman

Reaction score
I could be remembering wrong but I was thinking one of the firmware updates mentioned reigniting the glow plug but could be making it up in my head.
I believe that you are correct. I think k this was a fail safe mechanism for low temps like Smoke Boost where you are not having a good continuous burn. But like you said, I may be hallucinating (probably left over from the 60s).

TexasBBQ

Reaction score
Grill
Weber SmokeFire EX4

This was the closest description to reigniting the glow plug. This was introduced early on and probably improved over additional firmware updates without being included in the release notes.

Version 04008 (Available 4/16)

Introduced Twin Fire Ignition for improved startup process

Introduced Reignition Mode to recover from temp drops mid-cook

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
This was the closest description to reigniting the glow plug. This was introduced early on and probably improved over additional firmware updates without being included in the release notes.

Huh, learn something new every day. Never heard of a pellet cooker using the igniter for more than a few minutes at start up. I wonder how it knows if you just opened the lid too long? Maybe it doesn’t know or care? 😜

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score

Yeah, that’s what I remembered. Thanks.

Bruno

3x SOTM Winner
Reaction score
I believe that you are correct. I think k this was a fail safe mechanism for low temps like Smoke Boost where you are not having a good continuous burn. But like you said, I may be hallucinating (probably left over from the 60s).
The 60’s? Lucky man!!

rebeltruce

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX6, PK360, PBC, Cheesy Vertical Offset, Weber Kettle, Kenmoore Elite Gasser
New to the forum, just put my EX6 together...I received four glow plugs with the grill. I admit I was a little apprehensive about getting four, kinda made me think they may wear out quickly.....

Goneincognito

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4, WSM 14.5", 22" kettle
New to the forum, just put my EX6 together...I received four glow plugs with the grill. I admit I was a little apprehensive about getting four, kinda made me think they may wear out quickly.....
Some do and some don't.
It's better to have them and not need one than need one and not have them.

As much as would like to practice what I preach, Weber Australia suck and don't provide spares (or the ability to purchase them).