Foil vs Butcher Paper

jmccrack650

Reaction score
I did my first pork shoulder in butcher paper this weekend. Great results, bark was still firm, meat was super moist.

The one thing I didn't expect was the amount of time it took to go from 160 -> 200 after wrapping. In the past when using foil it took about 2.5 hours (4lb shoulder), but this time it took 4.5 hours. Is this normal with butcher paper? Just wondering so that I can account for this extra time in future.

Dassman5

Reaction score
I did my first pork shoulder in butcher paper this weekend. Great results, bark was still firm, meat was super moist.

The one thing I didn't expect was the amount of time it took to go from 160 -> 200 after wrapping. In the past when using foil it took about 2.5 hours (4lb shoulder), but this time it took 4.5 hours. Is this normal with butcher paper? Just wondering so that I can account for this extra time in future.
Butcher paper always takes longer, in fact sometimes twice as long as foil. That is because the paper is porous and allows “wicking” or moisture to evaporate from the meat surface through the paper as it smokes; something that naturally cools the skin of the meat and slows the cooking/smoking process.

Foil, on the other hand traps the moisture within, keeping the skin from enjoying the cooling effects, and therefore promotes a faster cook.

I always use butcher paper on my pork butts and briskets as it produces a harder/ firmer, better tasting bark. However, when in a rush, I occasionally use foil, as well when allowing the meat to rest in a Cambro before serving.

tigermikie

Reaction score
Think you should have waited until the meat hit 175-180. Needs to have broken out of the stall. That’s why it took so long.

Dassman5

Reaction score
My bad...they all tend to look alike after a prolonged period of smoking, as I usually do 2 or 3 8# butts for our family reunion, and they approach the size of a fully smoked brisket.

Great smoke ring by the way!

Last edited:

Latest Discussions