Flavorizer Bar Bracket

NoCoEX6

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFireEX6
Anyone having issues with the flavorizor bar bracket falling into the grill when you shut the lid. I bought my EX6 assembled so not sure if it's something that was installed wrong? I think it just rests on a small lip but it seems to fall down fairly regularly. I'm probably not the most gentle with the lid but it's pretty annoying!

Anyone having issues with the flavorizor bar bracket falling into the grill when you shut the lid. I bought my EX6 assembled so not sure if it's something that was installed wrong? I think it just rests on a small lip but it seems to fall down fairly regularly. I'm probably not the most gentle with the lid but it's pretty annoying!
Never happened one time, start over and build that thing right.

Never happened one time, start over and build that thing right.

Yeah, I'd take the time to do a rebuild. Grab the instructions and/or the BILT app.

The problem is that the bracket is installed incorrectly. It does not just balance on that lip, but needs to be pushed down and seated. If you do not have the assembly manual, it is on the Weber website. I assembled mine and made the same mistake the first time I put it in, but in needs to be seated along the back side of the EX6. See page 24 of the assembly manual for how they slide down behind the table along the back and front walls extending inward from both the lest and right side.

Also, once you get the bracket seated properly, make sure you check the pellet slide to make sure the top is tucked behind, not in front of the bracket. If necessary, you can unscrew the two bolts holding it to the top of the firebox, insert it under and behind the bracket with the bolt holes towards the front of the fire box ( note the two red alignment dots in the assembly photo) so the cover completely covers the box and seat and tighten the two bolts.

good luck.

Last edited:
I swear that more damage has been done to Weber’s reputation regarding issues with the SmokeFire by inept, hurried and incorrect third party assembly, than anything else.

I swear that more damage has been done to Weber’s reputation regarding issues with the SmokeFire by inept, hurried and incorrect third party assembly, than anything else.

That's exactly why I drove an hour away to find one still in a box. Somebody on this site warned me about inexperienced teenagers building grills quickly in the back of the building. A misaligned firepot can drastically change the performance of this $1,000 grill.

when I got mine it was already put together. The brackets for the flavorizor bars where in backwards, I just switched them around and worked great...I did have one of them fall off when taking apart for cleaning....now I’m wondering about whether or not they should be screwed in or something...

when I got mine it was already put together. The brackets for the flavorizor bars where in backwards, I just switched them around and worked great...I did have one of them fall off when taking apart for cleaning....now I’m wondering about whether or not they should be screwed in or something...
When the brackets are installed correctly ( refer to the Weber assembly manual pictorials, page 24, visual 31) they slide down and “ lock in place” behind the tabs that extend from the left and right sides in both front and back with the top “channel” facing outwards. They then hold the flavorizer bars without moving. No screws are required. Without seeing your “install” my guess they were never properly seated.

Last edited:
Well...it’s only come unseated once, and it was probably me that bumped it when putting drip pans down underneath. I’ve taken flavor bars and all the other stuff out to vacuum dust and ash. And it hasn’t ever happened again.

Well...it’s only come unseated once, and it was probably me that bumped it when putting drip pans down underneath. I’ve taken flavor bars and all the other stuff out to vacuum dust and ash. And it hasn’t ever happened again.
Just make sure they are locked in to the tabs as noted above. After that they can never move unless your deliberately take them out. That height is important if you want to use a water pan below the lower grate directly on the flavorizer bar.

I put them down in the bottom under the flavor bars. Only time I put the meat directly on the grates. Messy, and always use the wired cookie sheet pans now.

I put them down in the bottom under the flavor bars. Only time I put the meat directly on the grates. Messy, and always use the wired cookie sheet pans now.
Different strokes for different chefs!

I tend to place a half-size steam tray water plan 1 1/2 or 2” high) directly on the flavorizer bars for large smokes if I use the bottom grate, as it acts just like the water pan heat-sink on my WSM 22”.

When using the upper grate for smoking (in use most of the time), I place the water pan on the lower grate to catch the excess grease. The exception is when I want the grease to flavor potatoes and other foods on the bottom grate...then I use the Weber water pan on the flavorizer bar.

Back