Flame out, please talk me down!

No. People convince themselves that’s the problem. Who knows why. It’s not.

Did it run fine before updating?
So why is it that people that have issues usually don't after they take it out?
I'm pretty sure it's not thoughts and prayers.

JP is a wise man, all good info. I’ve got a huge cook coming up, my last cook was a disaster with the temps off by a mile and the set point disappeared. I have updated and now will only run it with my thermoworks smoke as the true pit temp monitor.

You are wasting your breath. Some people are beyond help. The funny part is it’s so obviously an issue. It’s also worth noting it’s not there on the new stealth models. Gee, I wonder why? I’m gonna guess this guy made an a** of himself arguing about it and is too small a person to admit he’s wrong. He’s actually smooshing his pellets down to avoid cavitation. That’s because they get hung up on the wires. I’m like you and haven’t had this issue. I also do not have to smoosh my pellets down either. 🤣🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

To answer your question, in his mind it could be just about anything except for the wires. 🤣 derp!

Last edited:
JP is a wise man, all good info. I’ve got a huge cook coming up, my last cook was a disaster with the temps off by a mile and the set point disappeared. I have updated and now will only run it with my thermoworks smoke as the true pit temp monitor.
Weird. I would assume it was a glitch and hopefully the update will resolve that. These electronic devices are great when they are running perfectly, but they are susceptible to updates and what not. Every so often my phone will seize up and I have to turn it off and reboot it. Don’t no why but it happens. 🤷🏼‍♂️

🤞🏼 good luck!

Weird. I would assume it was a glitch and hopefully the update will resolve that. These electronic devices are great when they are running perfectly, but they are susceptible to updates and what not. Every so often my phone will seize up and I have to turn it off and reboot it. Don’t no why but it happens. 🤷🏼‍♂️

🤞🏼 good luck!
Wondered if you guys have installed the shoot insert too? I rec’d one from Weber, but would seem to reduce capacity. I haven’t installed it as of yet. By the way, I removed the finger guard. I don’t see myself sticking my fingers down there for any reason when it’s on, LOL. Nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Wondered if you guys have installed the shoot insert too? I rec’d one from Weber, but would seem to reduce capacity. I haven’t installed it as of yet. By the way, I removed the finger guard. I don’t see myself sticking my fingers down there for any reason when it’s on, LOL. Nothing to lose.
I did not install the ramp.

I’m pretty sure it is. We’ve gone rounds, you’ve got your opinion and I’ve got mine.

You are wasting your breath. Some people are beyond help. The funny part is it’s so obviously an issue. It’s also worth noting it’s not there on the new stealth models. Gee, I wonder why? I’m gonna guess this guy made an a** of himself arguing about it and is too small a person to admit he’s wrong. He’s actually smooshing his pellets down to avoid cavitation. That’s because they get hung up on the wires. I’m like you and haven’t had this issue. I also do not have to smoosh my pellets down either. 🤣🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

To answer your question, in his mind it could be just about anything except for the wires. 🤣 derp!
I’m too small to admit I’m wrong? Easy to talk tough online, I’m just not impressed.

Prove me wrong and I’ll be the first to admit it. Since you can’t, spare me the tough guy show. Idiot.

I’m too small to admit I’m wrong? Easy to talk tough online, I’m just not impressed.

Prove me wrong and I’ll be the first to admit it. Since you can’t, spare me the tough guy show. Idiot.
There is an idiot in the conversation. That is evident to almost everyone. They removed the wire guard from the new unit. I wonder why they would do that. Hmm.

I’m not saying it’s not possible to have other issues. Certainly you can and many have. The single most obvious physical issue with the Smokefire is the placement of the wire finger guard. As far as proof, it’s self evident. Only you will argue this point. You must truly be a savant. I suggest you leave yours in place and continue to smoosh your pellets. I will however continue to advise all others to remove it. As the gentleman above pointed out, there is no downside to removing it. None. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Updated my firmware\software to the latest and tried a rib cook. Started it at 215 degrees manually. It was going fine for about 45 minutes and then dropped like a rock to 165 and below. I was away eating lunch, so from my phone tried to turn up the temp to 250 degrees in hopes of recovery. Nope. It finally lost connection. When I got home it was still running\on, but fire had gone out. No error on the display. I took off the ribs and put them in the oven for a bit. I ended up digging out all the pellets, removing the burn pot, auger, etc.. In all, it took me an hour to get it clean again. Started it at 275 and ran the rest of the cook that way. It worked, but so frustrated. This thing does not like to run at lower temps and the smokeboost has caused the same issue. I’m thinking of ridding myself of it, but still debating. Seems Weber will never fix this issue completely. If others have solved it, please let me know. I’ve like this grill, but damn, this gets old fixing thIngs 90 degree weather. Pellets were Lumberjack. I’ve heard lay offs are coming for Weber and they have a new CEO. Customer service is hard to get in touch with now. I don’t like where Weber is going these days. They’ve been my favorite company for years!
I had the exact same experience and thought it was something I had done. I cleaned it thoroughly and replaced the glow plug (#3). Although it didn’t look very dirty. Since that experience I’ve smoked a packer beef brisket over 12 hours without issue. Trying Ribs for the second time today, now that I’ve recovered from the trauma.

I had the exact same experience and thought it was something I had done. I cleaned it thoroughly and replaced the glow plug (#3). Although it didn’t look very dirty. Since that experience I’ve smoked a packer beef brisket over 12 hours without issue. Trying Ribs for the second time today, now that I’ve recovered from the trauma.
I just don’t think the glow plug is to blame for a mid cook failure. Sounds like a software issue to me. Once the thing is started it should continue without the glow plug. I’ve heard talk about there being a relight feature but I’ve never looked into it or experienced that with the Weber or any other unit. I have seen the carbon nugget that forms in the fire pot adjacent to the glow plug and that can and has caused the initial fire to not start correctly and flame out. Haven’t heard of this mid cook but maybe it’s possible? I would suspect pellet freshness or a glitch. Did you contact Weber? If so, what did they suggest?

I consistently had the set point disappear on my EX4. Weber sent me a new controller, motherboard and cable assembly to fix the issue, which it did not. Then they sent me a new glow plug cable, which has seemed to fix the problem. My last 4 cooks have gone flawlessly.

You might want to reach out to Weber and ask for a new glow plug cable.

Probably already been addressed but why anyone would start a cook and then go away for anything is beyond me. The simple fact that the way any pellet grill works is feeding pellets in to burn, is enough for me to stay close to monitor it. I recommend wire guard removal. And just keep a closer eye. I go out every once in awhile to stir and push pellets over the hole they got in. I had a flame out once months ago. Removed the wire guard and hasn’t happed again. I think the longest I e ever let it go with out going out to check it was about 3 hours, but that’s cause I was asleep.

I consistently had the set point disappear on my EX4. Weber sent me a new controller, motherboard and cable assembly to fix the issue, which it did not. Then they sent me a new glow plug cable, which has seemed to fix the problem. My last 4 cooks have gone flawlessly.

You might want to reach out to Weber and ask for a new glow plug cable.
They are the experts. They see all the issues and we see a few. I would never have guessed that cable would be the issue. These things are getting more complicated as they develop. Sometimes the issue could be something adjacent to where it manifests. Great to hear you are back cooking. Enjoy!

Probably already been addressed but why anyone would start a cook and then go away for anything is beyond me. The simple fact that the way any pellet grill works is feeding pellets in to burn, is enough for me to stay close to monitor it. I recommend wire guard removal. And just keep a closer eye. I go out every once in awhile to stir and push pellets over the hole they got in. I had a flame out once months ago. Removed the wire guard and hasn’t happed again. I think the longest I e ever let it go with out going out to check it was about 3 hours, but that’s cause I was asleep.
Yeah, I really debated it. First time I’ve left it and as is always the case, problems occurred. I probably won’t do that again unless it’s a quick run to the store. The beauty of this thing should be set and forget, or at least monitor through the app. and be able to run errands etc., but apparently you never do that and sit at home the entire cook. just not what I envisioned when cooking with a pooper. I’ve done many a cook with my WSM and have grown tired of the baby sitting. Honestly, it may be less baby sitting than the Smokefire. For now, I’ve removed the guard and installed the insert. We’ll see on my next cook.

Back