First Smoker

JRWoodman

Reaction score
Weber’s EX4 is the first smoker I have owned. Took delivery last week and assembled it this past weekend in my garage. It was a straight forward assembly with no complications. Burn in early Sunday morning went according to the book and paved the way to a couple of racks of pork back ribs 321 style. The EX4 operated as it should and the results were very good. Hoping things stay on track given all the grief and headaches I have seen on various YouTube posts. I have already resigned myself to the idea of drip tray use just to address the apparent grease fire risk. I wiped down the pellet hopper with a food grade silicone lubricant to help the pellets flow but otherwise made no other mods. Will keep my fingers crossed, next test will be a Boston Butt.

Glad to hear it! I suspect we are not aware of all of the people who have used without issue. I do wish a few more would chime in. Always hear the bad stuff but not enough about the good...

Glad you had good luck so far. I’ve been happy with my EX4 also.

Agreed, bad news is typically the fast mover. I’ve had Weber gas grills for years so I figured the early negative hype was like just hype.
Glad to hear it! I suspect we are not aware of all of the people who have used without issue. I do wish a few more would chime in. Always hear the bad stuff but not enough about the good...

Weber’s EX4 is the first smoker I have owned. Took delivery last week and assembled it this past weekend in my garage. It was a straight forward assembly with no complications. Burn in early Sunday morning went according to the book and paved the way to a couple of racks of pork back ribs 321 style. The EX4 operated as it should and the results were very good. Hoping things stay on track given all the grief and headaches I have seen on various YouTube posts. I have already resigned myself to the idea of drip tray use just to address the apparent grease fire risk. I wiped down the pellet hopper with a food grade silicone lubricant to help the pellets flow but otherwise made no other mods. Will keep my fingers crossed, next test will be a Boston Butt.
Welcome to the smoking family! Be sure to reach out if you have any questions and if anything doesn’t end up exactly as expected we would all love to share our similar experiences. Time and patience will turn you into a pit master before you know it.

Welcome to the smoking family! Be sure to reach out if you have any questions and if anything doesn’t end up exactly as expected we would all love to share our similar experiences. Time and patience will turn you into a pit master before you know it.
Thank you, appreciate the offer. I’m sure I will be tapping into the forum participants as I experiment.

Welcome to the SmokeFires Club! Congrats on the new rig.

Agreed! I had some problems and then I had THE problem but I still feel confident Weber will come through for me and everyone else.
I would hope so, I don’t think the issues are insurmountable and Weber has a solid brand reputation to support!

Feeling good about it so far, I am not a “power user” by any stretch and plan to use drip pans in my cooking so I am not expecting the grease events I have seen on YouTube. I do hope that Weber polishes the app. During my first cook it didn’t help much beyond monitoring temp. Maybe there is functionality I haven’t discovered yet. Like remote temp adjustment.

The app is very basic and limited to monitoring at this point. They have said that remote temp control will be coming. I would expect them to continue to add functionality over time. The current iPhone version is 0.9.2 which seems like they didn't consider it to be ready for version 1. They continued improving the iGrill app so I'm excited to see what they do with Connect.

Latest Discussions

Back