First impression Weber pellets not great

Goneincognito

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4, WSM 14.5", 22" kettle
I had my first issue with pellets last weekend at the end of my brisket cook. The pellets somehow blocked the glow plug and wouldn’t allow new ones to drop to burn. The temp kept dropping. When I took it apart I found what looked like a tootsie roll sized jamb of pellet dust blocking the glow plug. I have only used Weber Pellets so I’m not sure what caused the issue in the first place.
The glow plug only ignites at the beginning of the cook to start the pellets and will not come on again.
The issue was more likely that the pellet dust was blocking air flow in the burn pot and choking out the fire.
Did you clean the burn pot out before the cook?

GeoV_MI

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
Did you get those new casters from Weber?
I did not get them from Weber. My local Ace Hardware had them.

A little pricey, but I did it anyways and really like them

AHoneyman

Reaction score
Grill
Weber Smoke Fire EX6, Weber Genesis E-310, Vision Series B
I had my first issue with pellets last weekend at the end of my brisket cook. The pellets somehow blocked the glow plug and wouldn’t allow new ones to drop to burn. The temp kept dropping. When I took it apart I found what looked like a tootsie roll sized jamb of pellet dust blocking the glow plug. I have only used Weber Pellets so I’m not sure what caused the issue in the first place.
The glow plug has nothing to do with burning pellets after the fire is started.

MrPhilGrillTX

Reaction score
Grill
EX6 (+ a kettle from 2003)
I have that tootsie roll after every cook. It's the only thing I do to clean every time: break that sucker up. Reminds me, I need to check the ash tray.

Brad S

Reaction score
Same here. They now have hickory too. End of season last year they went on sale for 7 bucks for a 40 lb bag.
Ps clean your ash tray every cook. That's the minimum maintenance you need to do. You need air flow.

JpsBBQ

Reaction score
Ps clean your ash tray every cook. That's the minimum maintenance you need to do. You need air flow.
There is an induction fan for airflow, right? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m all for the cleaning OCD crowd of which I’m definitely not a member, but I never clean mine or maybe once every several months and have no issues at all. I use it at least five times a week. Going on 18 months. Had some issues in the beginning related to software and the mechanically fastened auger but none for a looong time now. None. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I just offer this as either strong evidence that it’s not the incessant cleaning that solves all these issues. It’s usually a combination of assembly and user error in my experience. On the other hand I could be the luckiest man alive. In which case I definitely should have bought a lottery ticket last week. 🤦🏼‍♂️