Firmware Update 4042

AHoneyman

Reaction score
Folks, as I mentioned in another thread, Weber snuck in a new firmware version (4042). Their website does not indicate this yet. About the same time, several of us have started having temp increase problems. Check your firmware version and let us know what is happening. Just trying to figure out how make this thing run. Later, alh.

JimG

Reaction score
I'm running 4042.

Any idea when it updated?

I'm wondering if my " Temp issues - self inflicted" post was not entirely my fault.

OP
A

AHoneyman

Reaction score
I'm running 4042.

I'm wondering if my " Temp issues - self inflicted" post was not entirely my fault.
That is what I am trying to figure out. I definitely see a difference between 4035 and 4042.

Dassman5

Reaction score
That is what I am trying to figure out. I definitely see a difference between 4035 and 4042.
My unit still is running on 4035, but then have not used it in 3 days. Not sure what will happen when I connect tomorrow.

Strange that Weber would release a new firmware version without notification...

OP
A

AHoneyman

Reaction score
I'm running 4042.
I do not have any idea. I have done a couple of runs lately where I left my phone on the SF shelf for a while when I was done and eating a fine smoked meal. Previous updates were problematic. This one I did not know until I checked before a long run on Friday evening.

abmet

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Mine is still 4035. I even left my phone out there for 20 minutes and shutdown couple times and no update. I haven’t used mine this week since has been raining. Cooking some chicken this afternoon so we’ll see if updates. I was hoping would before since doing pork butt tomorrow and rather not be first cook with new firmware.

Dassman5

Reaction score
I filed a support query with Weber asking about the firmware version 4042 this morning. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

sntwilliams

Reaction score
I filed a support query with Weber asking about the firmware version 4042 this morning. It will be interesting to see how they respond.
Did you get anything back from Weber about this? 4035 is still listed as the current firmware version on the weber website.

Dassman5

Reaction score
Did you get anything back from Weber about this? 4035 is still listed as the current firmware version on the weber website.
Not yet. I received an acknowledgement that they received my query this past Saturday, but no response so far...sent a follow-up again last night.

Bruno

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
Mine had an update last cook, I didn’t press any buttons to look though and when I was done I was still on 4035. I’m trying to hold off until I hear from you guys. Is the thought that 4042 is not a good update?

Dassman5

Reaction score
Mine had an update last cook, I didn’t press any buttons to look though and when I was done I was still on 4035. I’m trying to hold off until I hear from you guys. Is the thought that 4042 is not a good update?
No idea. Someone on another site got the update, but I used mine last night for ribs and BBQ beans and it was still running on 4035 and performing fine.

Anecdotally, among the few that have gotten it, they seem to claim that the temperature rise on the mid-to-higher range, after changing the set-point, has slowed.

OP
A

AHoneyman

Reaction score
On multiple runs, I have had long times to reach the set points. Going from 200 to 250 took over two hours and I finally shut off the SF because I was done cooking. I also have been monitoring the temp with an air probe which is calibrated with of SF cook temp probe and I am seeing very big differences. Potentially due to the averaging of the PID. I really want to find out if more people have been updated. My update was silent.

By the way, I have the analytics in the app turned on so that Weber can see what is happening with my unit.

JYD-BBQ

Reaction score
On multiple runs, I have had long times to reach the set points. Going from 200 to 250 took over two hours and I finally shut off the SF because I was done cooking. I also have been monitoring the temp with an air probe which is calibrated with of SF cook temp probe and I am seeing very big differences. Potentially due to the averaging of the PID. I really want to find out if more people have been updated. My update was silent.

By the way, I have the analytics in the app turned on so that Weber can see what is happening with my unit.
I checked my unit on Sunday and it is still 4035. I left my phone connected and sitting on the side shelf for about ab hour but it did not update.

OP
A

AHoneyman

Reaction score
I have been told "we are checking on it," implying to me that you should not expect anything at this time. But the right hand and the left hand......

Dassman5

Reaction score
I received a response from Nicole from Weber this am. They stated that 4035 is still the current version that has been released. However their R&D has released a number of firmware versions 4042 for early testing and feedback before general release.

She also said to keep watching their website for any new general release.

Bruno

SOTM Winner
Reaction score
So someone got 4042 without consent to be a tester?

Dassman5

Reaction score
So someone got 4042 without consent to be a tester?
Her phraseology was very interesting it said “ ...we may engage consumers to help us refine features with their feedback. These consumers may receive early versions of test firmware for their feedback.”

Go figure...not sure if she was referring to owners who earlier had agreed to be beta testers but were unaware they were getting this or not. I am only aware of a handful of individuals across several forums who had remarked about getting 4042.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions