EX6 cools down when setting to 500 degrees.

OGauge4Me

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6, 22in WSM, Grill Cart with Weber Kettle
The last two cooks I have put my steaks on at 275 degrees till the internal temp reaches 100 degrees. Then I remove the steaks and set the grill to 500 degrees. The temp reaches 500 degrees then starts to cool off once I put the steaks back in to sear them. When I turn the grill off there is a lot of smoke and unburned pellets off to the side of the burning pot. the fan sounds like it is working. Has anyone had this problem? I am going to replace the glow plug tomorrow.

The first time it happened the temp dropped then went back up. I did a decent cleaning and have done 2 more cooks, at lower temps, with no problems.

She can be finicky.

Searing with the lid down or up?

What pellets?
Replacing the glow plug is a waste of time. If it lights then its working. They only fire up once at the start.

What pellets?
Replacing the glow plug is a waste of time. If it lights then its working. They only fire up once at the start.
Glad you asked about the pellets. The pellets I used were Traeger Gourmet Blend Premium Hardwood Pellets. I had these on hand and was using them up. Iam not a big fan of Traeger pellets. What are your thoughts on B&B Pellets?

I also had another brain fart last night concerning the temperature probe. The last two times I have cooked steaks I have used the probe to monitor when the steaks reached 102 Degrees and to monitor when it reached 135 degrees and the last two steak cooks I have had this problem. I am going to call Weber today about the problem. I am thinking You cannot use the probe at higher grill temps. I have done 3 other cooks in between with no problems but the temps did not exceed 325 degrees.

I would call them anyway , but the this screenshot shows they can monitor till 572 degrees. Besides they don't affect the grill's operations and temp control. They only monitor. The probe at the back of the cook box is the controller temp sensor, that it what controls the auger/fan...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211124-091317_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124-091317_Samsung Internet.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 15
I would call them anyway , but the this screenshot shows they can monitor till 572 degrees. Besides they don't affect the grill's operations and temp control. They only monitor. The probe at the back of the cook box is the controller temp sensor, that it what controls the auger/fan...
Weber wants me to clean the auger, chute, and burn pot. I will do that on Friday.. I did a Honey smoked ham today doe tomorrow. Tonight will be som brats and tomorrow a turkey.

Attachments

• 20211124_122217.jpg
    20211124_122217.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 7
Glad you asked about the pellets. The pellets I used were Traeger Gourmet Blend Premium Hardwood Pellets. I had these on hand and was using them up. Iam not a big fan of Traeger pellets. What are your thoughts on B&B Pellets?

I also had another brain fart last night concerning the temperature probe. The last two times I have cooked steaks I have used the probe to monitor when the steaks reached 102 Degrees and to monitor when it reached 135 degrees and the last two steak cooks I have had this problem. I am going to call Weber today about the problem. I am thinking You cannot use the probe at higher grill temps. I have done 3 other cooks in between with no problems but the temps did not exceed 325 degrees.
I have used Traeger in the past but did not like them. They were too large and caused issues. I now use Weber and Lumberjack pellets exclusively. Anything else is just a crapshoot as they are not what the SF is designed to use. There will be people who will disagree with that statement and that is fine.
All I can say is that I have not had a single issue by using those pellets.
I have not used B&B.

The probes are rated to a certain temp but can't remember what they are.

I have used Traeger in the past but did not like them. They were too large and caused issues. I now use Weber and Lumberjack pellets exclusively. Anything else is just a crapshoot as they are not what the SF is designed to use. There will be people who will disagree with that statement and that is fine.
All I can say is that I have not had a single issue by using those pellets.
I have not used B&B.

The probes are rated to a certain temp but can't remember what they are.
I signed up for a group buy on the Lumberjack pellets. Waiting for the group buy to have enough participants in my area. I cooked a ham yesterday with no issues. Cooking the turkey today and reheating the ham.

Attachments

• 20211125_070722.jpg
    20211125_070722.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 6
B&B pellets work great for me, as do Kingsford and Pit Boss. Never tried Traeger (they don't need my money) Pit Boss and B&B in the 40 lb bags can be had at Academy for around 15$.

The problem is fixed. The solution was cleaning the auger, I believe. The first time the cool down happened I did a decent grill clean but the problem came back on the next steak sear. I did a complete clean and removed the auger per request from Weber. Tonight I cooked a Tri-Tip and seared it at 500 degrees. Came out perfect and it was delicious.

Attachments

• 20211202_170914.jpg
    20211202_170914.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211202_171720.jpg
    20211202_171720.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 9
The problem is fixed. The solution was cleaning the auger, I believe. The first time the cool down happened I did a decent grill clean but the problem came back on the next steak sear. I did a complete clean and removed the auger per request from Weber. Tonight I cooked a Tri-Tip and seared it at 500 degrees. Came out perfect and it was delicious.
I pull the auger out every month or so depending on how many bags of pellets I went through.

Considering how quick and easy it is to do, it would be stupid not to.
Well, it was a combination of the auger and the auger chute, you actually have to take off the pellet hopper to remove and replace the pellet chute. The job was a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. If I had a helper, it would have been a 2. Weber recommends a flat blade and Phillips screwdrivers, a 5/16 and 7/16 wrenches and Weber also supplied an Allen wrench T20 head, which was worthless. Lucky, I have a lot of tools. Enclosed is a pic of the tools I used for the repair. What is not in the pic is a screw holder that you really need to attach the pellet chute to the pellet hopper. The EX6 is working perfect now. There was a lot of visible wear between the base of the auger and the auger mounting plate that attaches to the auger motor. I have started to sift my pellets. I think pellet dust and other hard objects in a bag of pellets that caused the abrasion between the two parts.

Attachments

• 20211221_123517.jpg
    20211221_123517.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 21
Back